Suggest making a Solo button, or different modes to the PAFL button

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Suggest making a Solo button, or different modes to the PAFL button

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Crispin Crispin 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Crossfire Recording
    Crossfire Recording
    Participant

I’m confused by some of the posts I’ve seen kicking around the internet with using the PAFL button as a Solo button.

How do you Solo a channel or multiple channels just like any traditional console? As in, I hit the Solo botton, and I hear all things Solo’d and everything else automatically mutes.

I’m seriously considering buying one of these (tomorrow actually), but that was a feature I just noticed was missing (or I just don’t understand it).

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey Nicholas,

For clarity, and other community members who might want to contribute to the thread, you are referring to a ‘solo in place’ function.
    This is something that has only recently come to the dLive platform, and is used far more in a studio environment than live (it can actually be pretty dangerous in a live situation!).

What the SQ has currently is PAFL, with various follow and ‘takeover’ options, separate pre/post fade settings on inputs and outputs, tap-off points for pre-fade, sample accurate delay, an additive mode and the ability to route to any output directly or use with the listen bus for level control and mono/stereo routing.
    You can set this up and make use of mute groups to get you most of the way to a solo-in-place workflow, which is probably what some of the posts you mention allude to.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I’m confused by some of the posts I’ve seen kicking around the internet with using the PAFL button as a Solo button.

How do you Solo a channel or multiple channels just like any traditional console? As in, I hit the Solo botton, and I hear all things Solo’d and everything else automatically mutes.

I’m seriously considering buying one of these (tomorrow actually), but that was a feature I just noticed was missing (or I just don’t understand it).

are you sure that you understand what this mixer is made for?
    primarily live sound…
    what happens when you solo a signal during a live performance with your method?
    the audience will highly dislike what you are doing 😉
    so the SQ solos only in the headphones (PAFL bus as well) and without panning information (Keith I am right?, can’t check it no console at hand)
    but that’s mandatory for live sound (panning info does not matter that much in PAFL for live sound)

For clarity, and other community members who might want to contribute to the thread, you are referring to a ‘solo in place’ function.

he don’t… he referring to DAW Solo, but it’s the same actual 😉

if you will use your SQ as a remote controller for the DAW you can use your DAW solo system instead

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@SteffenR – Pan is post fader, so AFL will respect pan while PFL will not.
    A SIP function in the mixer rather than the DAW would allow you to monitor/check with all console post channel routing and additional FX for the channel which has been solo’d.
    It would mute all other channels though, so although the SQ is used in a lot of studios where this might not be so scary, SIP could definitely make for some cringe-worthy career-ending mistakes in the live world!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant

a SIP function that can be activated or deactivated. for studio work it would be fantastic so you can easily manage even more sets of speakers so as not to have to add a monitor controller😉

Profile photo of Crossfire Recording
    Crossfire Recording
    Participant

Thank you for the replies.

I’m buying this for my studio to replace a Presonus StudioLive, which has a solo button, and I’m used to using it. The fact that a solo button is a bad idea in a live setting is a non-issue for my needs.

So my suggestion per the OP would be to give us a menu feature that let us switch how the PAFL works. As in maybe have a checkbox that let us use the PAFL as a SIP. I find it useful for debugging multi-mic setups.

As an example, a common issue when recording drums is there will be a rattle somewhere, or maybe hi-hat bleed somewhere, or maybe a squeak somewhere (yup people need to maintain their kick pedals on occasion lol). Being able to solo things off and figure out where that problem is is has proven useful.

It’s not a make or break for me, but it’s just something I would find useful.

Profile photo of Kirky
    Kirky
    Participant

The one time a solo in place function is handy in live use, is when you’re doing virtual soundcheck. But then again, you can just solo the track in your daw, from which you are playing the multitracks.

Profile photo of crusty76
    crusty76
    Participant

IMO the solo button is absolutely necessary.
    For example, you are in a Live situation mixing Drums, have done properly level settings and now you act with single channels. Is Here that you Need it, soloing for accurate eq, for example, than unsoloing for listen in context. This Could be a function to enable in soundcheck and disable during the show. Simply… not?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Solo is the same as PAFL, different names same thing…

it works different in live sound and studio work
    since you use no dedicated bus for solos in most DAW’s it’s not usable for live sound
    never…

DAW solo systems are made for convenient mixing inside the PC

to implement this in a live sound mixing desk makes no sense
    since you can’t use it in live sound

and I don’t talk about a different solo output
    that is already there

Profile photo of Crispin
    Crispin
    Participant

I bought this mixer for studio use since it’s the only one that actually fit my needs, can operate at 96Khz and has dante. I find it immensely frustrating that there is no option for SIP. I understand that the primary audience is live but nobody else makes a mixer so well suited to what I do in the studio.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.