Stereo recording sounds low

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Stereo recording sounds low

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Smilzo Smilzo 1 hour, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mandel
    Mandel
    Participant

Hi, when I do stereo recording , it sounds a bit low, some times very low, is there any tips etc. to know? Does it depend on the USB stick I’m using?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

What does low mean? EQ? Level? USB Stick does not have to do with it.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Is the gain structure in the CQ good? Are your inputs and outputs in the high green/low yellow of the meters before recording? If your output is low (and you are compensating for it by turning up the amps so it sounds good in the room), that would cause the recordings to be at a low level too.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @mandel

0dB on the meters = +4dBu at analogue output = -18dBFS in digital (including recording)
    So there is 18dB of headroom built-in, and recordings may appear low if you normally record with less headroom.

The following article includes more details:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403616287889-General-Levels-and-Metering-in-A-H-Digital-Consoles

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Mandel
    Mandel
    Participant

Thanks everyone.
    @brian, When u say ‘output’, u mean master volume? individual channel? or both? ( I can’t make it too loud, don’t wanna bust my ears:)

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Turn the PA down?

Profile photo of Smilzo
    Smilzo
    Participant

0dB on the meters = +4dBu at analogue output = -18dBFS in digital (including recording)
    So there is 18dB of headroom built-in, and recordings may appear low if you normally record with less headroom.

Hi Keith, when I play from PC (with USB cable) I have to keep the USB ch level around -20db to maintain level consistent with mic and instrument, otherwise we will be blasted. Maybe the -18db in output is “reversed” on input to keep unity gain? The problem I had with PC was that CQ level was ok, but other “drivers” (include pop up sounds) were freaking high. It takes time to understand how and how much to lower the signal on PC (long story short…).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.