SQ6 XLR Local outputs voltage

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ6 XLR Local outputs voltage

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Flo84 Flo84 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi!

I checked my mixer some weeks ago and I have found that the local XLR output voltage number 11 was very low compared others…

My methode was : XLR connector plugged in XLR output socket to an multimeter.
    Only Pins 1 and and 2.

Mixer generator set to send 1 kHz signal and master fader set to have 0 dB on meter.
    LR mix was routed simultaneaous on all local outputs.
    Same thing with an AUX mix.

Can you give me the nominal voltage expected ? I have between 0,6 an 0,7 V (0 dB on meter). My local output n°11 is about 0,2 V with the same settings.
    No problem with my AR2412 and AB168.

Thanks
    Florent

Profile photo of Geoff
    Geoff
    Participant

Normally you would measure the output between pins 2 and 3, not 1 and 2.

+4 dBu is 1.23 Vrms, so pin 2 to pin should be about half that, or .6-.7 as you are measuring. But if the output is somewhat asymmetrical, you could still have the correct voltage between pins 2 and 3, but measure low between 2 and 1. This might affect available headroom on the output, but otherwise isn’t a problem.

Geoff

Profile photo of Proper Audio
    Proper Audio
    Participant

Also take into account not all multimeters measure true-RMS. Regular meters are meant to measure show correct values at 50 or 60 Hz (power line frequency) and could show wrong voltage values when the voltage to be measured has a different frequency.
    However: if one output delivers a much lower voltage than all the others with the same meter and under the same conditions, something is wrong.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi Geoff and Proper Audio !
    Thank’s for your replies, that confirms my knowledge.

My multimeter was true-RMS, last week I had the opportunity to use my local outputs and what I measured was confirmed : sound level on speaker plugged in my local output n°11 was very very low compared to speaker on output n°12… Set my left channel on an other output and was fine.
    Not need to repair this issue asap but when all my summer gigs will finished I’ll contact my distributor.

Thank’s

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.