SQ6 Power Down Questions

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ6 Power Down Questions

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MBJ MBJ 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MBJ
    MBJ
    Participant

Method 1- Results in PA popping- (Using SQ Local Line Out 11/12 straight to PA) Sub in, Out to Top)
    1- Power Down PA, PA Pops, wait 3-5 min then
    2- Select Power Icon on SQ6 Touch Screen, Select Power Off.
    3- You will be prompted that it is now Safe to power down Console.
    4- Use switch on rear of Console to power off.

Method 2- Results in NO PA Pops or noises- (Using SQ Local Line Out 11/12 straight to PA) Sub in, Out to Top)
    1- Select Power Icon on SQ6 Touch Screen, Select Power Off
    2- You will be prompted that it is now Safe to power down Console.
    3- Do Not Use switch on rear of Console to power off at this time.
    4- Power Down PA. NO Pops or Noises
    5- Use the switch on rear of Console to power off.

Why does the SQ have this 2 stage Power Down sequence and what is the Console doing when doing this task? I can understand saving whatever data needs to be saved and waiting till USB/Recording, etc. is completed and shut down in an orderly fashion but If I save my Data and I am not Recording or using any functions on the Console why do I need the Console to Initialize the Power Down sequence? Does the first stage of Power Down on the SQ6 mute or gate All outputs in the background before prompting that it is safe to Power Down using Power Switch? Why No PA Pop if the Soft Power Down is done before Powering Down PA. Just curious how others are powering Down their PA’s when using the A&H SQ6 and if you have experienced any pops or noise? The 2 Stage Power Down Sequence makes it impossible to remotely sequence power up and down because you have to physically Touch a Button on the SQ6 Touch Screen to complete a safe Power Down.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Turn off the amps (even those in the speakers) first, always.

Profile photo of MBJ
    MBJ
    Participant

That was done in Method #1 as described in my post.

Profile photo of SpicerBob
    SpicerBob
    Participant

We have 3 sockets on the wall.
    1. PA rack plus SQ
    2. Power amp
    3. Sub and other powered satellite speakers
    So we power on sockets 1, 2, 3
    When we power off we follow the SQ procedure until it says you can now turn off the power but we DO NOT use the button at the back.
    Turn off sockets 3, 2, 1
    So amps and powered speakers are always on after the SQ is on and off before it is off.
    No pops or bangs.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

1- Power Down PA, PA Pops,

How odd. Got processing in the rack? How are you powering it down?

I never use the SQ shutdown. Dump the amps, dump eth system processing and stageboxes, power off the board.

I believe the idea is that since it doesn’t(?) have battery backed RAM, they’re writing current state to some storage medium every once in a while. If you were to kill it while it was doing that, it might power up in an indeterminate state.

Profile photo of MBJ
    MBJ
    Participant

Thanks, Very odd! As mentioned in Method 1 The PA ( in this case EV Powered Speakers- NO Processor) were powered down first. I am starting to think it is something to do with how EV Amps handles their power up and power down. It just seemed strange that if I initiate the Soft Power Down using SQ Touch Screen First (I do Not switch off the Console at this time) and then Power Off the PA (Powered Speakers) I get No noise. That is the part that is confusing since the Soft Power Down should not be eliminating any noise I am experiencing when powering off the Powered Speakers.??? Will be doing more checking in the future and will post any new findings. I am well aware of how to turn on and off a Sound System. The reason for my Post was find what others had experienced using the Two Stage Power Off on the SQ6.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.