Show-files corrupted after storing

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Show-files corrupted after storing

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jibun no Kage Jibun no Kage 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

Yesterday I had a bad experience.
    After I prepared a few scenes in a show, I wanted to save them.
    But the storing-screen (picture 1) remained stuck on both displays.
    After a few minutes (!) it disappeared on the MixPad (picture 2).
    In order to get further, I removed the USB stick (Samsung Fit) at some point and with that I was able to use the desk again.
    But after plugging the USB stick in again, it was no longer recognized.
    The PC then showed that show data on the stick was corrupt.
    The Shows directory was suddenly many GB in size (picture 3).
    In particular, 2 shows (1 and 5) were affected (pictures 4-6).

I was really very happy that I prepared it calmly without any time pressure.
    But what if something like this happens live at an event?
    In this case, for example, it’s about a band contest.
    Losing the sound check settings of several bands would be really a worst case scenario for me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

I created a ticket with a similar problem regarding data loss when storing shows… A&H does not seem to have a very high priority for bugs with data loss… Keith??

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@squser

Was the drive formatted in the SQ?

@tobi

The issues you reported related to large numbers of files along with renaming of files/folders to names that had already been used on the drive – potentially with trash/recycling involvement and the SQ writing over blocks which had been marked as free.
    These have been logged and are being looked at along with other improvements to USB for the future.
    As there is so much interdependency in the USB system, and your issues are at a low level (system-wise), I’m afraid it’s not something that is solved with a quick patch.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    thanks for your reply. Just to be sure: I found (and reported) two bugs maybe regarding the FAT-Drivers:

1. Related to SQ-Drive playback there is a problem when using more then 240 files in the playback folder
    2. Related to write access the File System on USB devices gets corrupted. In my example I did some multitrack recordings, wrote some shows and then the file system was corrupt.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

PS: Yeah sorry — I don’t want to be rude… its just: If one of our customers would report a bug which causes data loss — that would be a major issue… with night shifts until its done…

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Thanks Keith. From my perspective, the way that USB works on the SQ is the, really, one thing that seems to cause lots of problems for lots of folks, in lots of different ways. I will be really please when owner of SQs can say that the USB function is “bomb-proof”. I await that day eagerly.

Thanks.

D.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> Was the drive formatted in the SQ?

Yes, the USB stick was formatted in SQ to make sure everything works.
    The shows have so far only been stored in the SQ.
    (I have also already made multi-track recordings on this stick.)

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H

> Was the drive formatted in SQ?

Do you perhaps need more information or could I now reformat my USB stick and try to using it again?

Profile photo of Jibun no Kage
    Jibun no Kage
    Participant

Same problem for me… brand new SQ7, we have created a number of scenes, and want to back up same. I inserted a USB drive/disk, formatted it, then attempted to copy to the USB device. The interface screen showed downloading… then appeared to freeze. But the SQ7 was still functional, I was able to control it from MixPad, over the network, but I had to reboot the SQ7 to get screen control back. There seemed to be files on the USB device, well, folders anyway, but I did not look to deep into the USB device, because I believe whatever was copied was incomplete. Clearly the interface screen should not lock up or freeze, and very poor software design, show no progress bar or any feedback on the download status. No way to cancel the process at all… in this day and age, surely as digital as the SQ7 is, they can afford to take the time to write quality software right?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.