Separate EQ for L and R?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Separate EQ for L and R?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of airickess airickess 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alli
    alli
    Participant

Hey Qu-Friends,

if my Main-PA sounds different on both sides, is there a way to apply separate EQs for Left and Right with Qu-16?
    It’s an active PA in a small club without a controller.

Thanks for your ideas!
    alli

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Personally I think the answer is no, but someone with more knowledge may know better.

The only way I can see it is to use 2 separate auxes panned left and panned right but that would be a real nightmare to keep the 2 in sync together on the faders.

Profile photo of oleg_naumenko
    oleg_naumenko
    Participant

It’s not possible currently, I posted this as one of my wishes for future firmware update in “Qu feature suggestions”: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/forum/qu/qu-feature-suggestions

Though many believe there will be no more updates for this model, which is too bad if true…

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

That is really sad if there are no more updates coming for the QU series. Obsolete and unfinished!!

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

“if my Main-PA sounds different on both sides”

Why would your PA sound different on both sides? I don’t understand why you would want to separate the L & R eq.

As for updates, I am sure there will be future FW updates to come during 2017.

🙂

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

“Though many believe there will be no more updates for this model, which is too bad if true…”

Oleg…

Please do not spread unsubstantiated rumors. Allen & Heath have a long-standing reputation for product support. I received one of the very first Qu-16’s in the US and the additions and improvements/upgrades have been so great that it is hardly the same console I had at first.

I fully expect the refinements to continue.

To the OP:

As to the separate L/R GEQ, if one really, really MUST have it now, I suggest simply digging out an older analog dual 31 and putting it in line, although I feel that if the two sides of a house PA are so different as to require attention there is something more substantially amiss than can be properly addressed with EQ. If the drivers are outputting grossly different sound, EQ will not “repair” them. Same goes for poor positioning or room reflections. EQ is not the answer.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I agree with Dick. 100%

Dick Rees
    Participant

Thanks, George. Sometimes it comes down to simply turning off the ceiling fans…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In NZ on touring really small venues you can come across all types of crappy FOH systems.
    Haha I remember turning up [upstairs 2 flights outside metal stairs? which I had to carry my special FOH cloth based for less weight FOH rack] at a venue a long way down south and one side of the small club had Hifi pioneer speaker in the system.
    Are those were the days of having to use you ears and a real 31 band EQ system.

Yes I agree with dick dragging out the old bits and pieces for correction abnormalities.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Sometimes it comes down to simply turning off the ceiling fans

but I like the Leslie effect on my horns 🙂

Dick Rees
    Participant

“Yes I agree with dick dragging out the old bits and pieces for correction abnormalities.”

You mistake me, sir. I said “if you must have it now”, but if you read further you will see the important point:

YOU CANNOT SOLVE THE OPs PROBLEMS WITH EQ.

For the record, there is a way to configure the desk as is to get separate L/R EQ adjustments. But I won’t bother with the how to as EQ is not a system correction tool.
    It is solely for tonal mix shading.

SYSTEM ISSUES SHOULD BE ADDRESSED WITHIN THE SYSTEM. THE MIXER IS FOR MIXING.

If you must address system issues you can always take your own system DSP unit. But then you’re liable for any damage…real, perceived or even pre-existing…when you take control of the house “system” by patching in your DSP.

The solution I’ve used has been to carry a full system in my van. I always work under written contracts/agreements, one clause of which states that I have the option to replace any faulty or sub-standard house equipment I judge to compromise the quality of performance, surcharges listed up to and including a full system.

If you’re working at a level where house systems are inadequate or semi-functional, you just have to bite the bullet and accept it…or refuse the grief and turn down the gig.

Believe me, I’ve been there. I remember helping some friends on a CD release concert where the house graphic burst into flame half way through the first set. It was only the first piece of kit to flame out, sad to say.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Believe me, I’ve been there. I remember helping some friends on a CD release concert where the house graphic burst into flame half way through the first set. It was only the first piece of kit to flame out, sad to say.

Did the venue charge the band more for the in-house pyro?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.