Running an aux fed sub on the Qu-32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Running an aux fed sub on the Qu-32

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of brassblaster
    brassblaster
    Participant

I’m wondering what the best way for me to run an aux fed sub through my 32. I’ve talked with a number of people already, but, this being the A&H forum, thought I’d get my best and definitive answers here.

Thanks for any help you’re willing to give!

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

On my qu-16, I use mix 4 as a dedicated aux fed sub mix. I send post fader. I only send kick, bass, a little keys, and mp3 player to this mix. The crossover and eq settings for the subs are set downstream in the digital processing of the power amp for the subs.

You could eq the dedicated mix on the mixer itself. But I don’t think there is anything approaching true crossover settings on the qu.

There may be other methods, but I like my results. You do sacrifice one possible monitor mix, but my band doesn’t need it.

Barry

Profile photo of brassblaster
    brassblaster
    Participant

Yeah, mix 4 is our bass monitor. I use mix 9-10 for our live streaming; would mix 7-8 work? Sorry for the novice questions, but, in some areas, I guess I am.

Thanks for helping, Barry; I appreciate it very much!

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I would think 7-8 would work just fine. You might have to play around with panning on a stereo mix, especially if you only have one cable coming from the 7-8 outputs. But, otherwise, those mixes 1-4,5/6, 7/8, 9/10 are identical.

I personally run the subs mono, even though I prefer stereo for mids and highs speakers.

Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

I usually run mono subs as well, it’s a bit of a shame that you cannot mono the stereo mix outs on the Qu (this has popped up in many discussions here), but I can usually sacrifice one side of a stereo output, and feed my subs from from a panned send. Me too, prefer a dedicated system processor, you have much more precise control over your filter slopes. Mine has three inputs, so himids go to 1-2 and subs to 3. That said, I don’t always run subs on auxes, hi-passing input channels works fine for me in many cases.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you have dedicated processors downstream then you could use them exclusively, and run from L&R to both.

The QU doesn’t have crossover capable dynamics (it can be approximated as well as it can on any board, but there is nothing steep or deep enough to act as a true crossover)

Mix sacrifice is an option, or running from alt-out if you just need a simple sum to send to an LPF fir the subs.

Just seen that this is a 32, I run a 16 – so I don’t instantly think of the matrices, but they are an obvious place to simulate a crossover…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Have been doing that with mix 9-10. Generally only center panned LF instruments go to subs so panning not an issue.

I do vote for mono on stereo mixes and mono or blend control on ST1-3 inputs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.