QU32 – ST1 to FX for a delay of more than 85ms

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU32 – ST1 to FX for a delay of more than 85ms

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of matthew matthew 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matthew
    matthew
    Participant

Our church is using a QU32 for the service and live stream, including people contributing from home.

The video from the computer is distributed to 4 devices and the Bluestream device creates a 330ms delay on the video in the building. The audio is fed from the computer to ST1 and whilst I can use the channel delay to delay the audio by 85ms this isn’t enough to bring it back in sync with the video.

I am therefore trying to route the ST1 through an FX mix to dial in additional delay. I would like to do this by inserting the FX to the ST1 channel but am unable to activate this on the ST1 Processing screen. Is this possible?

Alternatively, I can use an FX feed to send the ST1 channel and then return it to the L-R mix with the FX return. However, when I turned off the ST1 feed to the L-R mix the FX return went silent, but with the ST1 fader up I hear two pulses of sound, the original and the delayed.

Is there a how to guide, or more detailed step by step instructions anywhere to the FX back panel screen and how the routing channel->return, Mix->return etc. work please? Also which of the library delay FX modules is best suited to not changing the audio quality beyond the simple delay I need?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Every input and output has a delay value to compensate signal flow timing differences.

Profile photo of matthew
    matthew
    Participant

SteffenR, Thank you for answering me. Yes I can add a delay to the input from the Computer on ST1, but these delay values are limited to 85ms. Unfortunately I need to delay a single input by 330ms to bring it inline with the video from the computer. Both are aligned on the PC but the video distribution generates a delay that I need to match in the sound desk for that one input. I think I have found on page 30 of the reference guide how to make one of the FX channels an insert so that I can add the additional delay to the AV.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So the video comes out of the computer goes into a “bluetooth device” that device then feed monitors, projectors ect?

What does the live stream end of things consist of…..a video switcher with camera input feeds and a feed from the computer for putting the computer video directly on the stream?
    How is the computer video sent to live stream?

Is the audio feed into live stream taken from a mix out on the QU32?

If I’m not mistaken there is the FX insert option on the ST inputs
    As for the delay FX that would work, you can open the frequency band pass, set it for no repeats, link the delay time inputs together.
    If you use FX insert there is dry / wet mix control on the FX, you would want it fully to the wet mix position.

Profile photo of matthew
    matthew
    Participant

Mike C, thank you.

The video goes through a device called bluestream, this takes 1 HDMI input and both scales and sends it to 3 screens and a projector in the appropriate resolution and aspect ratios.

The live stream takes an audio out from the sound desk (one of our mixes for the sound in church, e.g. speaker, band, ambient of the organ etc.) and feeds this to Wirecast with a choice of four cameras which is live streamed to various outputs. However, the Wirecast can also bring in an external video contributor via Rendezvous or a media file such as a mp4, in which case I need to take an audio feed from the computer to the sound desk for the church to hear it. This is connected via ST1. As the video feed to the screens suffers a 330ms delay I need to introduce an equivalent delay in the ST1 feed.

The input delay in the processing of ST1 is limited to 85ms. I think what I need to do is configure FX4 as a delay, 2tap or some other library selection, set it’s input as an insert, and then insert it to the ST1 feed. I have been struggling to insert an FX to the ST1 feed as none of the FX channels have been configured to be ‘insert’ rather than Channel->return or mix->return and therefore the button to insert an FX hasn’t been available.

Thank you for the guidance on the frequency bands and the wet/dry mix. I think I will be trying this out during set up later this week ready for Sunday.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What is the model of the Bluestream system do you have?

I think you will be chasing two different delay issues if you delay the computer audio to sync to the projector and screens as well as then feeding that audio into live stream.
    Are you just using the Wirecast software and or their hardware?

Another idea all together would be to take HDMI output from one of the Bluestream receiver units and get an HDMI audio extractor to pull the audio off the HDMI feed
    and send that to mixer input, that would have the needed delay already applied.

Profile photo of matthew
    matthew
    Participant

MikeC,

I’ll have to check what the model our bluestream unit is I just know it has at least 4 HDMI inputs and goes to 4 outputs.

We are using the wirecast software. The ST1 channel is not in the mix back to the computer as any audio from the computer can go directly to the stream in sync with the video the computer has. I simply need to delay the ST1 channel to the main L-R in the sanctuary, the hearing loop, the foyer and potentially the mix that goes to the creche room. Though the creche doesn’t have sight of the video so is less important.

Making a risky assumption that the same delay is appropriate for the hearing loop as the main room then I believe I can simply apply this to the ST1 channel as it arrives to the desk. At the very least I can try this and see if it creates an issue with the stream during a trial.

My final challenge, for use in organ recitals when we project a video of the organist at the manuals in the gallery, is to introduce the same delay between the manuals and the pipes. 😉 Or, more likely because the organist will complain if I introduce that delay, persuade the listening organists to tolerate the image of the hands being 1/3rd of a second behind their ears. Unfortunately the image from the camera on the computer screen is instant so I know the delay comes from the video distribution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.