Qu Series Multi-track Recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu Series Multi-track Recording

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wadeo
    Wadeo
    Participant

Hey guys,

This is my first post so re-direct me if this has been discussed before! Also, this may be more on the Reaper side of things. So I may need to do some more research into control and set up in the DAW for what I’m asking…

I’ve been using the QU Series mixers for live sound for the last year and think they are amazing! So much control, ease of use, and good quality construction. Separately, I’ve been using a Tascam US-1800 interface to record multitrack recordings of bands into Reaper.

I have been renting QU mixers for live sound up until this point and have been contemplating purchasing one now for my live gigs, but as I am also looking to upgrade to a new recording interface I am considering a Qu-Pac for both. I am wondering about peoples experiences with Qu-series mixers and Reaper for recording? I’m using a Macbook Pro with Reaper.

1) What have been your experiences with this set up?
    2) Have you noticed any latency with recording via USB?
    3) Pre-amp quality for recording?
    4) Has anyone tried routing external preamps into the line inputs of the Qu?

My main concern is with the connection being USB, and not lightning bolt like a lot of new recording interfaces(UAD, Focusrite, etc) that latency will be a concern as it has been for me with the US-1800.

Thanks Fellas!

Wade

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Ok, here we go:

1) Used Qu32/QuPac many times recoring live and studio sessions with reaper.
    2) Latency is no issue at all when only recording a live gig, always using large asio buffers as a safety margin. Latency may be an issue in studio use, where you want to record additional track to an existing recording. Aside of automatic latency correction from the Asio layer any DAW should have a custom adjustment for latency compensation (for example additional latency from DAC/ADC in mixer or interface). Once set, problem gone.
    3) For me absolutely perfect. Crisp, clean and silent.
    4) Don’t see any reason for this, except very special appliances if you prefer a particular preamp flavor for vocals etc.

Latency should be no issue at all and it does not originate from transport layer like USB. Technical latency from USB is around 250ยตSec (2 microframes), any ADC/DAC adds more latency. Latency originates from the much larger sample buffers on API level like ASIO, the Qu driver allows to adjust this buffer size depending on needs and system abilities.

Profile photo of Wadeo
    Wadeo
    Participant

Thank you for your Reply!

I have been playing around with the buffering size in Reaper already, seems to be quite easily adjustable. I will be tracking additional tracks to existing recordings. So is there a good way to monitor the latency? I often struggle to hear the issue when I’m tracking. I just usually try to keep the buffering rate small. (These might be leading away from Qu questions, and more into Reaper/Mac Questions)
    Andreas have you tried routing external pre-amps via the line inputs before? Anyone else have any experience with Qu series mixer with external preamps? In this situation it would be as Andreas mentioned to add an external preamp for special flavour.

The gain would be adjusted only from the external preamp, or do you have to give slight signal on the QU side of things?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have used Reaper with both MBP and iMacs
    and done voice overs with QU.
    For single voice over tracking I got the latency down to about 32 from memory however I do use large templates and found it was just a matter of muting anything that I’m NOT using until a mix down.
    Re: noise from external outboard I found the QU clean enough for most incoming signals and I did try a TL-audio and a bass valve preamp.
    But then Reaper has just a lot to offer now especially if you are using the add on SWS Reaper extension.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Determining overall latency is rather easy: Just record some transient (i.e. snare/kick hit) through your mic back into the DAW. In ideal case the recorded signal should properly align with the source signal. Since the DAW only may correct the known latency from the ASIO layer you will see some time difference unless you manually adjust additional latency from dac/adc conversions. On reaper this is done in preferences/Audio/Recording: Input manual offset. Just enter the time distance between the recorded and original transient.
    Latency should only be an issue if you plan to use monitoring on DAW side (listen to currently recorded signal). I’d suggest to create the monitor signal in the Qu not in DAW.
    Regarding external pre-amps: If you accept DI outputs of guitar and bass amps or dedicated guitar preamps, then yes. I never bothered to use additional preamps if signal is coming from a mic. Apart of any flavor, additional pre-amps at least add noise, which I’m normally not interested in…

Profile photo of Badger
    Badger
    Participant

I use a Zed R16 for recording. I wouldn’t consider a Qu for anything except live use as it’s fixed at 48K.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Any 48kHz sampling is bad because?

Unless you’re recording for dogs of course ๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of Badger
    Badger
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with 48K in itself. It’s just if someone brings in a session at another sample rate you have to convert it. But you might just need to add one small overdub.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Workflow – about the only valid answer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

48K is precisely what you must record with if you ever expect it to sync with professional video, or even consumer gear like GoPros and camcorders.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Using same same samplingrate does not guarantee proper sync to video, for example. If there is no hard sync both will drift apart over time.
    On the other hand, CDs are still 44.1kHz, using the Qu for a CD project requires downsampling at the end. Even if less critical, purists (like me) simply prefer to not resample… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.