QU-SB reliability

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-SB reliability

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Tom 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jacobrownoly
    Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Hi,

Was able to purchase a new QU-SB rack unit and I went for this over the QU-16. I love the fact it’s compact and can fit in a rack unit and the idea of using the iPad to control it sounds great. My only concern with it is it’s only ipad control only. I knew this before going for it but how reliable is this? I am not worried about the iPad reliability but it’s more the connection between the router and desk. I got a TP link Archer router, so a fairly decent router.

I play in a wedding band, so it’s mostly marquees and different venues each week. The thought of battling with a router every week is now scaring me a little. Have I made the right choice? Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Jacob,

If you are have difficulties with reliability of connection it is far more likely to be related to the network setup and router you are connecting the Qu into.
    I have never seen or heard of a problem that was between the mixer and the router.
    The first things to check would be the physical connection, so the cables and sockets (check for ingress or damaged pins).
    If this is all fine, then ensure you have good wireless coverage and no interference from other equipment. For example, it is well known that some 2.4GHz wireless packs or microphones can interfere with other wifi connections. Ensuring you are using the correct channel (or using auto channel) can help in situations where there may be lots of other wireless devices too.
    Other things that can cause problems are security settings or firewalls in the router, or if not using a dedicated router and there is other traffic on the network taking up bandwidth.

If you’re still having trouble, please contact us using support.allen-heath.com with details on the router and setup and we can look into it with you 🙂

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I recently gave my QUsb to my Grandsons for their remote garage band activities. It is much easier to transport than their QU16 and the obvious latency issues between I-Pad commands and resulting SR changes, that drove me crazy, are not of great concern for my boys. A “set and leave it” protocol perfectly fits the QUsb: however tactile controls are a “must have” for most all of the many other SR protocols.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

– Only use the 5g WIFI and turn off the 2.4 broadcast.
    – Put the router up so you have a somewhat line of site path to the iPad.
    – Hide the SSID name broadcast.
    – I also do not enable security on the WIFI, do set up passwords on the mixer.
    – Get a WIFI scanner app that list other WIFI networks in the area so you can
    see if your WIFI channel is already being used, change your channel if needed.
    The apps are not perfect but they give you a general idea what else is out there.
    – Set a static IP address on the mixer, make sure it’s not in the routers DHCP range.
    – Set up a small range of DHCP hand out addresses on the router.

I use TP Link routers as well. What model is it, have you checked for firmware updates?

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I almost always keep a laptop hardwired to any iPad-controlled mixer as a backup controller.
    You might want to spring for a high-powered access point from Ubiquiti or Engenius.
    Always scan for clear wifi channels. If you have trouble later, scan again. Things might have changed.

As for some of the other advice here?
    If the channels are clear, 2.4 gHz has a much longer range than 5 gHz.
    Hiding the SSID does nothing. Devices can still see that there’s an access point, and will poll it to see if it’s one they know.
    Always secure the wifi. Anyone in your wifi will use your bandwidth for pointless requests, looking for the internet.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As for some of the other advice here?
    If the channels are clear, 2.4 gHz has a much longer range than 5 gHz.
    Hiding the SSID does nothing. Devices can still see that there’s an access point, and will poll it to see if it’s one they know.
    Always secure the wifi. Anyone in your wifi will use your bandwidth for pointless requests, looking for the internet.

While 2.4 has long range that bandwidth is full and there are only three channel that don’t overlap and they are always filled.
    With line of sight’ish 5g will get me to 150 feet easy.
    True, hidden SSID’s are still pinged from devices but there not populating your everyday phone users WIFI list keeping them from trying to connect.
    At the extremes I found without encryption I get a more solid connection.

As for high power access points / routers they also have to have a good receive side as access point/router has to be able to “see” the Ipad broadcast.

Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don’t actually have the unit yet it was more a case of how reliable the connection with the mixer is as this solely relies on an iPad.

Also, how can I go about playing the likes of Spotify through the QU-SB? For the likes of music in between our sets. Can I play this off the iPad or would I need to physically connect my laptop to the st1 of the Qu-SB?

Thanks

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

It’s as reliable as you’re network is.
    WiFi environments change, not just from location to location but also when people arrive after set up – so I would always recommend to be prepared with a hardwired backup such as a cheap laptop direct to the router at least!

The iPad only controls the mixer, no audio is passed, so you will need to get audio to the desk using a cable (or some other means).

Just in case you aren’t aware, the last time I checked Spotify isn’t licenced for commercial use. No one seems to care and I see it everywhere, but technically it’s not allowed.

Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Thanks for that Dave. I have wasn’t aware of that with Spotify so thanks for pointing that out, I guess it does make sense.

In regards to the cheap laptop back up, I carry one at the minute anyway for the Spotify music. Could you explain to me in more detail about how this would act as a backup in regards to the QU SB?

Thanks

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Ah – didn’t spot this was QU as it’s in the SQ section.
    Is there an app for PC/Mac, depending on what you’re using, for QU?

Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Sorry, I realised it was in the wrong section after I posted it!

I don’t think there is an app for the mac / windows. The qu sb runs solely on the iPad I believe.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I don’t think there is an app for the mac / windows. The qu sb runs solely on the iPad I believe.

You can get an ethernet adapter for the iPad to give you a hardwired connection.
    Just connect it to an open port on the router.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

(moved to Qu section)

Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Thanks for this, if I look at getting an adapter for charger, Ethernet and extra USB C point so I then can run RCA cables to st1 on the QU SB for my playback music. Would that be a good option?

Thanks

Jacobrownoly
    Participant

Is this the kind of thing I need to hardwire the iPad with the Ethernet and could I also stream music off the usb c to RCA into ST1 in the QU-SB?

Edit: for reason I can’t attach pics but it’s an adapter that lets you not only charge the ipad but has an Ethernet port and a usb c input of my RCA cables

Would this work?

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.