QU-SB reliability

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-SB reliability

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Tom 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I own a QU16, QU PAC and QU-SB. I can honestly say that whilst remotely mixing, I have never experienced latency that has in any way prevented me from making fast changes to the board. The biggest issue as mentioned here can be wifi drop out so solve that with some of the suggestions made and you’ll be fine.
    At shows I use a Ubiquiti bullet as my WAP which has NEVER let me down and I also set up an old iPad mini I have hardwired to the mixer which sits on top (of my QU PAC 4u rack) ready to go if and when I need it. It also means I can keep it charging and use it whilst on stage for adjustments – line check etc to save on battery usage on my wireless iPad.I can then switch that on just before sound check and save battery.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just to update….the only time I have ever dropped and all but failed to maintain connection to my QU Pac was just last Friday.
    System worked fine all day, last band of the day fires up their on stage IEM system
    and I my WIFI connection is all but gone.

First thought was their WIFI control was on the same channel as mine, not the case, then
    I noticed that some of their IEM systems transmit right in the middle of the 5g WIFI band, I normally only use 5g for my connection and I recognized the make and model of their IEM’s and know that they operate in the 5g WIFI band from an experience with
    them at a service call for a church install.

With my router sitting directly next to my iPad I was able to get into the router set up and turn on the 2.4 broadcast, that was during the first song and a half sound check /start of the show. I was doing some fast figured front panel mixing and router set up all at the same time.

Profile photo of Hoody
    Hoody
    Participant

Hi,
    I use a lightning to USB/RJ45 adaptor which gives me back-up should wireless fail.
    Cheap Amazon Fire Pad with Google Play store Android hack. running MixPro app about $5.00 when I purchased again I can run a usb to RJ45 adaptor.

Monitoring wirelessly I run a bluetooth adaptor on my QU-SB to send to my headphones. (Being bluetooth the range is not amazing and although just for monitoring it can introduce a little latency). I have not tried to stream from my iPad or other device to the QU-SB ST1 using this arrangement again there is no reason this will not work with the limitations I have previously mentioned. I have yet to get and try BT 5. however my present set-up is fine for the small venues I work at.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

As a long time QU-PAC user (multiple units) since launch, I’ve just bought my first QU-SB:)
    Now without a screen to fall back on, I bought a Lightning to ethernet adapter off Amazon just in case!
    After a bit of trial and error and few tweaks, it works great!

Here’s the adapter name:

IVSHOWCO Lightning to RJ45 Ethernet Lan Network Adapter for iPhone [Apple MFi Certified]

*****If you know how to set it up already please ignore the rest of this message!*****

The tweaks were:
    On the QU-SB.
    Whilst connected via wifi, in the network settings:
    Disable the DCHP button and make a note of the unit IP and subnet settings (192.168.1.xx and 255.255.255.0 on my unit)
    Gateway setting noted but not used in my setup.
    Apply settings and reboot.

On the iPad/iPhone:
    Plug in the ethernet adapter.
    In the settings menu Disable wifi and you’ll see a new “Ethernet” setting.
    Open that tab and change it from default “automatic” to “manual”
    Now type in an IP address in the same range as the QU unit – I added ten to the last set of digits. (DON’T USE THE SAME IP ADDRESS AS YOUR QU UNIT!)
    Set the subnet mask the same as on the QU.
    Leave the last column blank and “apply”.

Once Qu-PAD was up and running, initially I had to connect via “Other” using the QU IP address – subsequently it comes up automatically:)
    Bingo, sweet QU-Pad (and Qu Control) joy!!

I hope that all sounds correct to the network educated, it’s definitely given me a great backup if the wifi blows up!

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Regarding the earlier question about PC/Mac software to control Qu Mixers:
    There is third-party software available, e.g. Mixing Station.

Regarding iPad accessories I have no idea what does or does not work with which iOS version.
    I use a bluetooth receiver connected to Qu for playing music from iPad/PC/Android phone.
    Might be cheaper and more flexible than original iPad adapters.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.