Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@debzdoodle

Just saw your avatar on prosoundweb. Apparently they have been discussing this problem for a LONG time too.

We have V1.95 on the Qu32.
    We got it about a year ago. Give or take a couple of months. It came with 1.95 AFAIK, and it is now currently 1.95.

I have heard noise in the phones but never heard it on the main speakers in the auditorium.
    Recordings seem to be okay. The video guy just started recording to a program on the 2nd PC instead of direct to the vidcam.
    That was more a camera audio/mike related problem than the Qu.

Profile photo of bethelsound
    bethelsound
    Participant

Just want to re-iterate that having an older QU-32 board running the newest firmware, I have NO ISSUES formatting or saving settings.

My issues are:
    — the high rate of errors when recording onboard multi=track;
    — the invisible, undetectable 1-10 second audio drops when recording onboard stereo (until you manually listen to it, that is).

This is USB 3.0 or 3.1, Transcend or otherwise (see previous post for exact details of hardware).

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

ust want to re-iterate that having an older QU-32 board running the newest firmware, I have NO ISSUES formatting or saving settings.

My issues are:
    — the high rate of errors when recording onboard multi=track;
    — the invisible, undetectable 1-10 second audio drops when recording onboard stereo (until you manually listen to it, that is).

This is USB 3.0 or 3.1, Transcend or otherwise (see previous post for exact details of hardware).

For the small amount of onboard multitrack recording I have done the Sansdisk Extreme USB3 has worked well, with over an hour of recording and no drop outs.
    Slower USB drives that work perfectly well doing stereo board recordings, playing back WAV music files loaded on to the USB drive play folder and backing up scene or show files may not be able to handle the speed needed to write the multitrack data.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I believe you.
    But all sansdisk failed for me. USB 2 & 3.

The Qu just refused to acknowledge and try to format almost ALL commercially available USBs.

All we need to do is back the thing up. But it would be nice to be able to playback too.
    Unclear why backing up Scenes and Show needs fast data.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Attached is a picture of the USB drives I carry with system all the time.
    The black on at the top of the picture is the Sansdisk Extreme USB3.
    It does not take a crazy fast drive to store show files and scenes on.

Just yesterday I used one of the white Data Travelers to back up a QU32 and load the
    show file and scenes on to another QU32.

I use the smallest drive to back up my system and carry a copy of the latest firmware, I actually have second drive with back up data on it as well stashed in another road case.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The three silver ones look like the ones I have. But I cannot read the submodel number to be sure.
    I do know they are what the other folks here have recently said work. One failed.
    I cant test the other two until Wednesday as the sound got cancelled this Sunday night for a special dinner for new members.

Those other two will go direct from package to Qu and we will see what happens.

One went from package to XP to see if their was crapware on it like so many have but it was not read/written to just ejected.
    And then failed in the Qu.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The slightly longer silver ones are SE9G2 the shorter silver one is a SE9.
    The white plastic ones are G4. The wide silver ones with the red ends are DT50.

There’s no crap ware on them, I did buy a couple store brand USB’s for another use
    one time they did have some security crap on them that I could not get rid of even
    going beyond the normal formatting process.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I concur. The SE9 had nothing on it that I could find although 8k was used.
    I will test the other SE9 and the SE9G next wednesday.

Most store brands have been clean when I checked.
    Crapware is useless stuff some name brands put on thinking it will somehow help sales.

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

@mikec do you live anywhere close to Seattle? I’d really love to see if a drive that can be accessed by someone else’s Qu will work in mine. It seems like some people have better results than others and I wonder whether some of the mixers (like mine) are just lemons. I’ve tried lots of drives, never found a single one with more than 256MB (not GB) capacity that worked. I was able to back up scenes to the 256MB but it’s not much use for multitracking! And I can’t play music or SFX from other people’s thumb drives.

volounteer
    Participant

@cafewalter

only ones that worked for us were very old usb2 whitebox generic Staples 8G drives

ALL the kingston and data travellers and a couple of other brands have failed

since one worked I doubt the Qu is the lemon problem.
    There is a mismatch of somesort and clearly Qu is the bigger part of the problem but not completely as some drives do work sometimes in some Qu’s.

It appears to be getting worse although initially it was significant enough to warrant a database of supposedly good USBs

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

ALL the kingston and data travellers and a couple of other brands have failed

So have you tried a Data Traveller going directly from the sealed package to the QU and formatting…yet?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

@mikec do you live anywhere close to Seattle? I’d really love to see if a drive that can be accessed by someone else’s Qu will work in mine. It seems like some people have better results than others and I wonder whether some of the mixers (like mine) are just lemons. I’ve tried lots of drives, never found a single one with more than 256MB (not GB) capacity that worked. I was able to back up scenes to the 256MB but it’s not much use for multitracking! And I can’t play music or SFX from other people’s thumb drives.

Nope. I’m in mid West Ohio!

Have you tried any of the Kingston Data Travelers, I have posted links to the exact ones and where I purchased them from many times here, they have all worked for me.

If all else fails pay pal me $17 and I’ll buy a Data Traveler USB, format it, load a music file or two on it and mail it to you.

When you mention you can’t play music of SFX from other peoples thumb drives, first before any drive will work in a QU even for playback it would need to have been formatted in a QU mixer and the playback files need to a WAV file format.
    So someone just walking up so to speak and handing you their USB thumb is not going to work unless of course it has been QU formatted.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Does it really need Qu formatting?
    Or can you format it in a PC, to FAT32 and 32K blocks; and then add the directory structure AH wants?

Is there some secret hidden stuff the makers or AH is putting on the drive that causes problems?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Does it really need Qu formatting?
    Or can you format it in a PC, to FAT32 and 32K blocks; and then add the directory structure AH wants?

Is there some secret hidden stuff the makers or AH is putting on the drive that causes problems?

DO NOT FORMAT THE USB STICK IN ANY COMPUTER AFTER YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKAGE…..
    YES YOU DO NEED TO FORMAT IT IN THE QU MIXER USING THE QU MIXER USB FORMAT FUNCTION WITHIN THE SET MENU

***content removed – does not contribute to the thread***

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

WHAT ALLEN HEATH PUTS ON THE USB DRIVE IS WHAT MAKES IT WORK!!!!!

AFTER YOU FORMAT IN THE MIXER THEN YOU CAN STICK IT IN A COMPUTER AND LOAD FILES INTO THE PLAYBACK FOLDER (WAV AUDIO) AND PULL RECORDED AUDIO FILES FROM THE RECORD FOLDER.

THERE ARE ALSO FOLDERS FOR MULTITRACK RECORDINGS, SCENE AND SHOW FILES.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.