Qu-32 / Qu-Drive – low recording volume?! How can I change this?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-32 / Qu-Drive – low recording volume?! How can I change this?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of djam djam 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TLC
    TLC
    Participant

The soundboard records at a decent level on output channels 31 and 32 to a CD writer. However, when recording directly to the USB device on the Qu-Drive, the sound levels are so low it’s almost impossible to bring them up- even with other software.

I really need step-by-step instructions for how to change the levels for the USB recordings. I attempted to change the settings using instructions from the manual, but I couldn’t find things that it mentioned- and when I was on certain screens, the manual didn’t quite match the displays.

I DO understand that the USB drive records at 24-bit, but I don’t have the software to convert to 16-bit and I’m not the person that actually adjusts and uploads/burns (CDs of) files. So, I have GOT to fix the problem from the sound board.

I really appreciate your help!

Also, if there’s a drag-and-drop version of the software to convert from 24-bit to 16-bit that you’d recommend, then I’d appreciate a link or a program name.

Thanks!!!!

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi!

There are a couple of ways to boost the volume that goes to the Qu-Drive.

If you are using the Stereo Record from a mix bus, you could route the stereo signal to a spare matrix bus to add some more volume. Then route this matrix to the Qu-Drive.

If you are using individual channels, set the USB source to Direct Out and then go to the routing page of the channels to boost the direct out volume.

If you need further assistance, please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com

Thanks! Alex

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Hi Alex,

Does this work for QU-16 too? Not really clear yet. And if you are playing live and would like to record it is not often that you have the L&R slider at nominal. Is this the problem when recording stereo L&R? And… If you are recording multi-channel for virtual sound check or recording it isn’t a reality that each individual channel slider is at nominal. How do we overcome this simply?

Thanks Alex.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.