Qu 24 really

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu 24 really

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vermaak Vermaak 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lodda-sound
    lodda-sound
    Participant

Hi I really just want to rant about my dis belief of a 24 channel console. I was really hoping that a 32 channel was coming as that would be so much more helpful for me. A32 channel would be perfect counsel for a lot of my work. 24 channel is the ugly in between (that’s just my opinion). The 16 is great idea for the small hire but 24 channel really.

Just hope they bring a 32 channel out in near future.

Rant over

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

At this price point, more granularity between frame sizes is welcome in my opinion. It seems more like a digital GL2400-24.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Reposting from NAMM thread.

Was not exactly what I was expecting. I thought maybe the 16 had the engine throttled back and they were going to introduce new firmware that allowed full use of the 2412 stage box with 8 mics optional on the customer layer. Not a whole new mixer.

Interesting that it still only records 18 channels. What is the benefit of that if you have more than 16 inputs going? Or for virtual sound check. I don’t reading about DCA’s. It mentioned matrices and groups.

I am still going to get flack about it vs X32 as for head to head selling. Now we have this then next jump to GLD with no 33 in between. I have one customer I have been holding off hoping for a 32.

Otherwise it is a QU16 with 8 more channels. Still nice

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I think it’s great! I guess it doesn’t matter what you build, it will never suit everyone. If it was a thirty-two someone would probably gripe that it was too big.

They gave us what we have been asking for since last year. More channels, Sub-Groups and additional outputs.

I want one.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I think it is exciting, if I had one I could dump my Presonus which I only keep for the occasional 24 channel gig. I’ll never use 32…

But really, 18 channel recording? THAT is just stupid! I assume there will be a firmware upgrade coming soon. Hope it sends all 30 to the computer interface!

Meanwhile, my simple needs usually call for less than 16.
    L

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Oh, man, I wish I would’ve waited…Really liking more soft keys, Matrix outputs, and sub groups.. and of course more inputs. 😉

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Does anyone know the max i/o capability of USB multi-tracking? I remember hearing that actual hardware limitation kept the Q-Drive from coming to the GLD series. I would be curious if the 18 ch limit is hardware/software related.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Still trying to find the price on this. Anyone seen it?

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Haven’t seen a price yet.

As a side topic…I’m curious what this forum makes of the new Behr…I mean Midas M32 console. I’ve seen the expected MAP to be $4999 US. It looks to be a fancy x32 with the potential for future 96k.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I would start your own topic for that. I personally eschew any and all behry sh*t. I was given a B mixer recently to domate to a local cafe, and it ws such garbage I will recyle it if I can’t give it away.

I find that those who like Midas are being snowed by the co-optation of the bran by Uli. But I am prejudiced, I hate him and all his corporate shills.

Hope that isn’t too strong, but it is just how *I* feel.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Apparently the 24 channel thing is limitations within the architecture (chip set I guess) according to someone on the inside – a jump to 32 channels requires a different hardware/software configuration which I’m guessing they’re just not that keen to make at this price point… I mean, there’s not that big a jump price wise into the GLD range, they’re not Behringer and I assume have no interest in being Behringer with a dozen options in every range… I’m curious to see the new Midas for a comparison, but it’s clearly a sheep in wolf’s clothing from everything I’ve seen so far (I mean, even the FX engine snapshots have Behringer logos on them, and the stage box is straight up a rebranded Behringer)… some people will fall for it, the same way some people have convinced themselves that somehow the Behringer is better than every other cheap and cheery product the company makes, but I’ll stick to a brand with proven performance and quality performance.
    PS I ordered 2 QU24’s at the start of January, straight after being told only the most basic outline of what was expected. I’m not disappointed so far with their announcements, and have no plans to cancel my order in favour of a Midas (even if it is cheap!)

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

PS I’ve been using an iLive (which clocks at 48k) for several years now – you can keep your 96/192 crap, it’s all marketing, even a $200 USB interface can be 96k capable, doesn’t mean it sounds any good.

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

Guys, the QU24 is a killer addition to the line, We’ve added 2 group outputs with full channel processing, 4 matrix outputs with full channel processing 10 soft keys, the cool LED indicators and 4 dedicated FX sends with Stereo returns with Processing on the returns.

Remember when you’re looking at feature set it $2799USD MAP mixer! and it sounds great and doesn’t fall over itself when you get it loaded down with MIC inputs!, the guys at AH are pushing the technology on this stuff for the price point.

speaking of the B!#$ stuff..

On a side note, the USB interface on the back has been increased to a 32×30 channel USB interface and now with HUI onboard so if you need a bit more, plug in your laptop, I’m not sure of the technology behind the QU drive, but I think right now, its not a hardware issue to record to the Hardrive with more channels, I think its a technology/Chip thing, I could be wrong, but that its my understanding.

Profile photo of Vermaak
    Vermaak
    Participant

We are loving the look of this new desk which seems to fit the bill perfectly. The groups are a major plus point for us for corporate work with Lapels really needing their own group for EQ.

Looking around at prices and AC are doing this in the UK for £1814 plus VAT which is a bargain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.