Plugging in Acoustic Guitar Directly

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Plugging in Acoustic Guitar Directly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chienmort Chienmort 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JayB
    JayB
    Participant

Hello,

It looks like only the CQ-20B has Hi-Z inputs, just wondering if anyone had any experience in plugging in an acoustic guitar directly to either a CQ-12T or CQ-18T and whether any of the Guitar presets help get rid of piezo quack?! I understand that can be exacerbated if there is impedance mismatch?

Thanks!

Jay

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Can’t answer your question as I only have the 20B, but why not use inexpensive DI box. I would use one of those even with my 20B.

🙂

Profile photo of Gaz
    Gaz
    Participant

Hi Jay,

Not a direct answer to your question however… did my first gig on Saturday with the CQ20B.. I play acoustic and have a pedal board with a radial engineering J48 active DI fed into a normal input on the CQ with 48v phantom on.
    Was using the compressor on the mixer channel and the stock EQ for acoustic guitar with a little more high pass and low pass filter dialled in… added a little easy-verb with the string stock preset…
    Can confirm it is the best live sound I have ever had for my acoustic guitar, very full, warm, clear natural sound, no quacking at all, and was very easy to get this pleasing result.
    My pickup is a Shadow SH 4020- A with nanoflex under saddle.

My preference is to always use the pedal board with the DI.. this allows me to have a balanced XLR cable for the long cable run across the stage to the mixer and a very short instrument cable between the instrument and the pedalboard. It also allows me to always have a consistent sound and compatible connection when using different PA systems (you will always have an XLR input) whilst sorting out any potential impedance mismatch issues or signal degradation or unwanted noise over long instrument cable runs.
    This setup works great for me – so thought I’d share my experience.

Profile photo of JayB
    JayB
    Participant

Thanks both for your input, much appreciated.

I agree, DI box is the way to go but was just wondering about direct input.

Thanks Gaz for sharing your experience, my guitar came with a nanoflex pickup so that’s encouraging to hear you’ve been able to get a good sound out of it with the CQ20B!

Thanks again,

Jay

Profile photo of Area51drones
    Area51drones
    Participant

Great answer Gaz! Looking at J48. Was unaware of their DI line. Thanks. Jim.

Profile photo of Chienmort
    Chienmort
    Participant

Jay, does the acoustic have a preamp? If so I think you could treat is as a line input on the mixer. If not, or if the CQ12 does not like the output, get an Ochid DI The Micro DI shown here would be fine for you although their Clasic DI is more versatile.

Orchid Electronics Micro DI Box

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.