Corrupt files on ScanDisk using CQ20B?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Corrupt files on ScanDisk using CQ20B?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gabo gabo 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DaveR
    DaveR
    Participant

I’ve used the multi-track recording feature with an SD card for record my band’s live gig successfully 10+times. However, something went wrong with my last attempt. I recorded the first half the show with one SD card, which worked perfectly. I was able to see and retrieve this card’s multi-track files onto my computer. However, I recorded the 2nd half of the show on another SD card (that I had successfully used in the past and formatted again for this show). Attached is a screenshot of what the SD card files look like (name appears to be corrupted). Does anyone know what could have caused this? I stopped the recording, but maybe I shut everything down too soon?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

I had the exact same thing last night!! With a card that I’ve never had a problem with. When it was recording, it showed it was recording and there were no errors on the recording screen. We lost and entire 3 hour show! Here’s a screen capture of the files, there are over 1000 of these taking up about 18G of space on the card.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

Trying to recover these files. I can get a recovery program (wise data recovery) to recover files that look promising. They are wav files, in the right format (24bit, 48K, etc.) and have the correct names (07Ohead.wav, etc.). And the size and length of the files is consistent with what I recorded.

I found this recovery article, https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/22346839625745-CQ-Recovery-of-corrupted-SD-USB-A-recordings

But when I import into audacity using those settings, I get snippets of audio followed by noise, then a snippet of audio, noise, etc.

I thought maybe it was the offset that was incorrect, but in choosing about 20 different offsets I have never gotten one to work. The audio has to be there as it’s just a stream of bits and I have a large file containing the stream. It seems like the offset or what audacity thinks is the boundaries for the samples (24 bit samples at 48Khz) is not quite right.

Is there any way to use a hex editor or something to figure out what the correct offset would be? Also, the only option in audacity for an offset is by “bytes.” I’m wondering if the files isn’t even on a byte boundary, maybe I need to offset by “bits” instead of bytes to make it correct. Anyone know a way to do that?

Thanks, Gary

Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

I found a different recovery program called “salvage data” that was able to recover these files. I then imported them into audacity using the instructions from the A&H site and was able to get usable files. Give it a try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.