Options for Recording > 32 Channels

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Options for Recording > 32 Channels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chaos215bar2 Chaos215bar2 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chaos215bar2
    Chaos215bar2
    Participant

I think I have a pretty good idea of the options, but I want to check whether I’m missing anything.

Obviously, up to 32 channels are supported via USB (in and out).

It sounds like a Dante interface card is the simplest option for recording up to 64 channels, though somewhat pricey. With the interface card plus Virtual Sound Card software, I should be able to record (and send) up to 64 channels. As a bonus, this even works over regular ethernet.

The Waves interface card also seems to be an option, but I believe that requires additional hardware beyond the (also pricey) card. I’m not really familiar with the Waves ecosystem.

Am I missing anything? If not, I’ll just add a plug to say that it would be great to have an option to interface gigaACE/GX directly with a computer. (Or just a USB3 port, which should easily be able to handle 128 channels in/out at 96kHz.)

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Just to be clear, the Dante card allows for 64 channels of audio at 48k. At 96k, it will allow for 32.

D.

Chaos215bar2
    Participant

Thanks, that’s actually really good to know. I missed that detail. Maybe not a deal-breaker, but definitely a point against Dante.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

The 32×32 @96khz and 64×64 @48khz is a dante virtuel soundcard limitation.
    If you record thru a dante pcie card you can record 64×64 @96khz.

Chaos215bar2
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I hadn’t really looked at PCIe card options.

Unfortunately, though, for the cost, I think I could just as easily buy an extra SQ-5 plus SLink card instead of a DX168, gang it to the primary console, and pull 32 channels via USB from each.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

gang it to the primary console, and pull 32 channels via USB from each.

I guess this will not work…

Chaos215bar2
    Participant

Why not?

I’m not necessarily seriously considering the option, but it looks like SQ series mixers operate independently when joined via their SLink ports, and each should have access to the audio routing points on the other. Connect both via USB to the same computer, create an aggregate device, and with correct routing to the USB outputs on each mixer, I think you should be able to pull down any 64 channels you want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.