Multitrack recording channel limit

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Multitrack recording channel limit

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WPCtech
    WPCtech
    Participant

What is the maximum number of channels you can use during a multitrack recording? If it’s limited to 16 channels, how are these channels selected?

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

32 channels via USB, 64 via Dante. You select them in the I/O pages.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

48 for any & all of the SQ line when a waves card is deployed delivering tie lines.
    Hugh

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

It is my understanding that straight out of the box, recording at 96kHz, SQ Drive is limited to 16 inputs.

Recording at 48kHz, SQ Drive can capture 32 inputs.

I don’t use any type of card (Dante, Waves, etc) so I can’t speak to whether or not deploying such might offer more tracking capabilities.

You select the inputs you want to capture by patching them to USB in the I/O section.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The FPGA processor of any and all SQ desks will accommodate 48 inputs: the SQ tie line protocol does not require a Waves or Dante card. An SQ5 has 16 inputs so when a a pair of cascaded DX168s are deployed, 48 pre-amp inputs are available to be delivered, VIA the tie lines, to a DAW of choice. The number of internal inputs or faders on any of the three SQ desks will make absolutely no difference when Patching the available collective inputs.
    IMO if the truth is to be told, an SQ5 with either one or two DX168 expansion stage boxes is a much better working protocol than the SQ 6 or 7 with a boat load of faders and internal I/Os but exactly the same processing core. The D-Live I/Os in a DX168 are an improvement over the stock SQ I/Os: plus it is always better to get the pre-amps as close to the mics as possible.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

He was asking for the recording capabilities. Therefor His numbers were right.

For more than 32 Channels either a waves or Dante Card is required. Then with using tie lines 64 Channels can be recorded, while still only 48 Channels can be processed.

Best Regards.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I deploy a Waves card for several operational reasons, however Keith made very clear in his tie-line info/video that tie lines can deliver to the SQ usb output the full 48 maxed out inputs with out either ancillary Waves or Dante card. In short they are not apparently necessary to fully deploy 48 inputs to the subject USB “B” port.
    Hug/

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

USB on SQ can have Up to 32 Channels. You misunderstood Something.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The SQ USB limit is 32 inputs, not 48 as I mistakenly stated: however the primary reason for my post was to correct the implication that a waves or dante card was necessary for tie-line deployment which it is not.
    Hugh

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

From the technical data sheet:

SQ-Drive USB-A
    Stereo Record 2 channel, WAV, 96kHz, 24-bit, source fully patchable
    Stereo Playback 1/2 channel, WAV, 44.1, 48, 96kHz 16,24-bit, source fully patchable
    Multitrack Record 1-16 channel 96kHz, 1-32 channel 48kHz, 24-bit, WAV, fully patchable
    Multitrack Playback 1-16 channel 96kHz, 1-32 channel 48kHz, 24-bit, WAV, fully patchable

USB Audio Streaming USB-B,
    Core Audio compliant, ASIO/WDM for Windows
    Send (upstream) 32 channel, 48/96kHz, 24-bit
    Return (downstream) 32 channel, 48/96kHz, 24-bit

From my own research:

DANTE
    SQ Dante Card 32×32 > guess what, 32 tracks
    SQ Dante Card 64×64 > 64 tracks

And it depends on the Dante network how much Dante channels you can record.
    Dante Virtual Soundcard is limited to 32 channels in 96kHz and supports 64 channels with 48kHz only.
    But a dedicated Dante PCIe Card can record up to 256 tracks if capable.
    That depends on the card you use.

MADI
    Up to 64 tracks depending on the MADI recorder.

WAVES SOUNDGRID
    Again this depends on the network, the card supports up to 64 tracks in and out at 48 and 96kHz.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.