Network switch on the Slink to protect

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Network switch on the Slink to protect

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PBo67 PBo67 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

In order to physically protect the Slink inputs of the console and Stagebox, especially when I have to use an existing wiring of a theater that I do not know.
      Is it a good idea to put two little switch between ?
    It will do “fuse”, if false manipulation (POE) or wiring fault…

Already, does it work ?
    What kind: A Small switch 10 / 100Mb not manageable ?
    Have you recommendations ?

Thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

GBit switches are needed
    with no other devices on the network it should work

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @pboeckel ,

The SLink port will automatically detect the speed of the device connected first in the chain.
    So if a fast ethernet switch is connected, the SLink port will ‘look’ for dSnake/DX/ME units and if a gigabit switch is connected it will switch to gigaACE mode.

An unmanaged switch with no other devices connected should work for your purpose, though of course direct connection is recommended.
    You can always contact us using support.allen-heath.com and we’ll do our best to help you out with your specific setup.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

Hello Steffen,

Thanks for your answer.
    Do you thinks it is a good idea ?
    I have understood, that No Gigabit is needed, because in this case the Slinks would switch on the GigaACE mode protocol.
    But to connect 2 x DX168 stage box you must be on the DX mode, so Fast ethernet must be used.

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

Hello Keith,

Yes, Thank you I understood that.

A SQ5 connected to 2 DX stagebox thru an existing wiring (no other device on the network).
    I would like to warn of the possible destruction, the SQ5 and the Stage box of a bad wiring (at the installation) by putting a switch on both sides.

My question is :
    Do you think, Is this a good idea ?

Thanks

Profile photo of Lino
    Lino
    Participant

Before investing in something like this which will introduce two more points of failure to your system, I would invest in a decent network testing tool to test the connection before plugging it in, as I assume you want to check built-in network lines in venues before you use them? There are some relatively cheap cable testers available from Amazon, the more expensive ones can even check for PoE and other stuff…

I’d prefer this over putting switches in my critical SLink-Connection at any time!

Best,
    Lino

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

Good idea, Lino

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Couple items to add in (and clarify):

– For 100MBit you can also use an optical isolator, also called a network isolator. You can get them for gig but they are expensive.

– GigaAce is much harder to route through a switch. There are a number of discussions in dLive forums on how to do this.

– As Stefan said, use a gig switch because it handles the bandwidth issues better, but you also must
    (1) lock the port to 100 or SLink will negotiate GigAce instead of dSnake/DX/ME;
    (2) disable all the spanning tree, BDPU detection, CDP, etc. or you will hear glitches;

– If you are running DX168’s via a DX Hub, the protocol is GigAce and not DX.

I have ME’s running off a gig switch on dLive. Before I disabled everything (on a dedicated VLAN) there was an audible click at a regular rate occurring.

Jay

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

Ok Jay,
    Thanks for all these details.
    I summarize what I deduce from it:
    Just to connect two DX168, it is must easier and safer to verify the local cabling with an appropriate tool.

Thank you all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.