Need Help SQ7 to Ableton Live for live streaming

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Need Help SQ7 to Ableton Live for live streaming

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Islandboy
    Islandboy
    Participant

Ok guys I have been on here for a few weeks trying to find out how to do this, so created an account today as I need to be sure how do get this done, without messing up our board for our church service. We cannot at this time afford another board for live streaming with many churches going this route I am sure you will get many request like this. So basically I want to take a feed from my main board via the USB into my desktop running ableton live to run the feed through some plugins to make it sound much better for live streaming, right now IT SUCKS. I have already downloaded and installed the USB Driver onto my desktop. I am sorry if this has been spoken about in detail, I just could not find it. We are still learning the board so trying to get my sound guy to work with me on this and needless to say we are a bit hesitant as we dont want to mess up the board when we have a service this coming weekend. Thank you for understanding, Explain it to me like I am 10 please. Step by step, Sorry ….

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

yes we get many requests like this
    and we answered it many times already

there are a lot of videos available as well

the search will be your friend for now

but first:

to run the feed through some plugins

this is not a good idea for beginner
    since this can kill your whole service in a moment…

Islandboy
    Participant

Not sure I understand, we are currently working through a training course on how to accomplish this. Please explain, sorry.

Profile photo of Jephsound
    Jephsound
    Participant

I have the Waves card, and I wanted my plugins also for live. I set up a Matrix, basically grabbing all channels on the SQ, sent it to a MOTU M4, (USB interface) I was using the USB on the board for tracks. This worked really well. I was even able to use a couple of the plugins to help shape my sound on the matrix. I had plenty of reverb for the singers also.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Islandboy,

Steffen is just pointing out that adding/inserting plugins in this way, especially across a whole mix is a really risky point of failure.
    It may not also be the only way to get the mix you’re after.
    Please describe the current setup for the stream, and what about the stream mix sounds so bad at the moment.
    We did run a live facebook session fairly recently which went through the idea of using a post-fade mix for streaming. This is a common setup that would allow you to create a separate mix for the stream that ‘respects’ the main LR mix. Meaning if you set it up well, you can concentrate on the main mix and the stream should almost take care of itself (obviously that’s never quite the case, but that’s the idea!).
    You would have completely separate mix processing with a setup like this too, including being able to insert extra plugins if you still wanted to.
    If you think that might be useful you can see it here – (https://www.facebook.com/AllenHeathofficial/videos/2501872106585882/).

Oh and welcome to the community!
    Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Islandboy

People listening at home on small PC speakers wont care about your tweaking with plug ins.

You do not need to do anything more than get the level right, have good SNR, and possibly a minimal amount of EQ but the SQ7 could do the EQ.

Your real problem is combining the audio with the video and then getting it in proper format for your streaming target.
    OBS or livestream or whatever software you use will be a far bigger problem than any plug in can fix. Trying to add a DAW in the middle will only make your job much harder.

Islandboy
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H, I will take a look at that video, trust me if we can do without the DAW I am all good with that. THank you all for your comments, I will take them all seriously and talk with my sound guy and send him that video also from Keith, if we can doit that way I would be happy we just want the mix to sound good.

Current Setup;

A&H SQ7 – Mixer
    Ecamm Live – Streaming Software
    Blackmajic Web PResenter – Streaming and Encoding.
    Cerevo Livewedge Video Switcher.

THE SQ7 goes directly into the Blackmajic web presenter and so does my Mac running Ecamm Live. The sound itself has no reverb and sounds flat, as we are just learning this board my sound guy does not understand how ot make another mix to send for the Live Streaming so what I receive is the main worship area sound which of course you know will sound terrible over computers speaker our phone speaker. So if that video KeithJ sent can walk him through how to setup another feed for the streaming I am greatly appreciative, we have been sounding terrible for way to long.

Profile photo of Jephsound
    Jephsound
    Participant

The matrix is your friend in this case….

SteffenR
    Participant
    volounteer
    Participant

@Islandboy

you said:
    the main worship area sound which of course you know will sound terrible over computers speaker our phone speaker

I do not know that at all. learn me please about that.

I do know that what the ‘pros’ with golden ears think is good sound
    and the 99.99% of the other people think is good sound are not the same.

I told our audio team lead who believes in beaucoup tweaking that nobody down in the audience could tell the difference or cared.
    He felt better and did not make anything worse just different, but it was unnecessary for the purpose at hand.
    Ditto for the MD when he was on the board constantly moving faders up and down fast and pushing buttons like a machine gun.

In my experience almost all sound on streaming sites is terrible. And sometimes the video is too.
    But it is mostly sound level, and sometimes with noise that are the real problem.
    Occasionally it might benefit from some eq ; but after that the vast bulk of all the other folks just dont care about the fancy f/x some people think are necessary. And for churches, f/x are counterproductive as most of the attendees have hearing problems which are made worse with such tweaking.

The main thing for good church audio is making it intelligible. That means the right SPL level and DR for the background noise.

The usual problems are the music is way too loud. The speakers are way too soft or have so much DR that too much is too low.
    Some folks complain that it is too loud other complain it is too soft and the A1 says we got it perfect in the middle! WRONG!!
    They need to compress the DR so that all the levels , both loud & soft, are where all the audience is happy so there are no complaints at all.

SteffenR
    Participant

@volounteer
    some rooms are very difficult to mix to…
    and the compensation for the very bad room sound on the master bus will make a terrible broadcast mix

and again… every two days… we say the same…

use matrizes after the main bus
    leave the main bus flat and do all your PA processing necessary in the matrix
    use a second matrix for stream
    and the 3rd for backup recording

hint: copy your main settings to the matrix bevor you reset them on the main bus 😉

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

True

so we use a matrix or mix that parallels the LR out and eq it for good sound at home on the pc.
    The problems we have are consistently levels being too low on some channel.
    A new scene for the streaming and setting faders for that and leaving them alone helped.

Our only current problem is that chirping-echoey noise we had on streamig last week.
    That was new. The first week inside was good, as were all the weeks outside were good.
    Again with the exception of certain channels when outside as the mixer was in the church so we used the pa output from the stage for some of the mikes and had no way to adjust those, or else the overall level is low.
    Some videos have noise and other problems. But none have a shortage of fx that normal people care about.

I agree and we used to have a matrix after the main bus but now they chose to do it via a mix. Not sure why.
    And the MD does not tell me what he was thinking just what they did.

I may have taken Island boys comment out of the intended context as I presumed that he was running LR through a matrix or equivalent first.

We have separate paths to the CD recording, matrix/mixes for the stream and also radio. But the stream and radio go through the PC the A/V guy runs and is then relayed to stream and radio.

SteffenR
    Participant

@volounteer

let us go back to your thread… no hijacking intended

@Islandboy

tell us if it helped what we provide

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.