Moving / Inserting Channels / changing Channel IP

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Moving / Inserting Channels / changing Channel IP

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SWu SWu 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SWu
    SWu
    Participant

Hello together,

I’ve a problem with moving existing channels.
    I’ve got a fully setup Scene for the GLD with 22channels + Monitor Split Channels. Now the technical Rider has changed and i need to Insert two channels (also on the AR2412). This has to be done Offline, only with the editor.
    Perhaps i’m too stupid, but i couldn’t find a way to reorder my allready set up channels including all the channel-aux-mixes etc….
    If i try it by using the Overview-Library it doesn’t include the Aux-mixes.
    Is there a way to change the IP of existing channels?

Anyone another Idea???

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If I am understanding your last question correctly can’t you just go to the preamp page of the channel you want to change and in the upper left change its socket to a new ip? You can then re arrange your layout on the control page.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

By default the GLD patches the input sockets of the AR2412 to the processing channels. “1 to 1” This means that if you plug a mic into socket 11, it will show up on channel 11 on the GLD. You can change this.

By default the GLD lays out the channels on the left bank of fader strips “1 to 1”. This means that channel 5 will be on the 5th fader. You can change this too.

Lets say your input list is;

Kick – Mic plugged into socket 1, patched to channel 1, on fader 1.
    Snare – Mic plugged into socket 2, patched to channel 2, on fader 2.
    Overhead SR – Mic plugged into socket 3, patched to channel 3, on fader 3.
    Overhead SL – Mic plugged into socket 4, patched to channel 4, on fader 4.
    Bass – Mic plugged into socket 5, patched to channel 5, on fader 5.
    E. Guitar – Mic plugged into socket 6, patched to channel 6, on fader 6.
    Vocal – Mic plugged into socket 7, patched to channel 7, on fader 7.

After doing a few shows you decide you want to close mic the 3 toms.

The most simple thing to do would be to continue with the sequential patching and just plug the toms into sockets 8,9,10 (which by default would put them on channels 8,9,10 and faders 8,9,10). You could do this very easily, but then your drum mics wouldn’t be together on the faders. You could fix this by going into setup>control>strip assign and moving those channels onto whatever faders you wanted them to be on (eg, move the toms to after the snare and before the overheads, faders 3,4,5). This is fine but your stage patching would be in a strange order. Leaving it this way isn’t a problem, but you may want to change it.

To change it, first write down the preamp gain settings of all your channels. Lets say you want your new tom inputs to be on sockets 4,5,6. This in fine but you’ll need to make room for them. Unplug every XLR after sockets 1 and 2, and move each one three numbers higher eg move bass from 5 to 8, move vocal from 7 to 10. Inputs 4,5,6 will be empty now, plug your toms in. Now you have to tell the GLD that you’ve moved some of the mics to different sockets. select each channel, eg. Vocal, go to preamp, source select and tell it that that mic is not in socket 7, it is now in socket 10. Change the gain value back to the one you wrote down earlier.

The important thing to remember is that everything is on the same channel it was on before, but some channels are on different faders, and some channels are getting their audio from a different socket. Because all your channels are the same, there’s no reason any of your mixes would change.

Could you post your show file and say what inputs you want to add?

Profile photo of SWu
    SWu
    Participant

Thanks for the answer!!

i thought so too, but it changes the input socket, not the ip )-: (as i said perhaps my brain is totally blocked and i’m only too stupid)

for example I’ve got
    GIT on IP-3 …
    i set up the input socket AR24/12 NR 3 (in the I/O setup) to use the IP-3 …

now i want to move the whole channel including all settings (Aux etc) to
    IP-4 and Input Socket AR24/12 NR 4 (so that i have my order nice and sortet even in the channel-strip-setup and IP-3 aswell as Input Socket-3 is free for new settings)

by changing it in the preamp page to nr 4 I’m just telling the channel with IP-3 to use the Input-Socket 4 means just another preamp but still for IP-3.

I guess the only way would be using the desk with the copy function….

Any Ideas??

Thanks again for your help! And sorry for my bad english (-;

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I think I see the problem…

When changing strip assign in the editor, the top section is the “pool” of channels and mixes you have to choose from, the bottom section, below the bank tabs, is the fader layout. You cant drag and drop channels within the pool, you have to drag from the pool down onto the fader layout, or drag and drop within the fader layout.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Why does it matter what channel it is when you can put it on any fader you want? If you want GIT to be on the 4th fader you can just move it there in strip assign.

Copy and paste should work too, but check if it changes the mix sends too or of it’s just the input processing.

Chris

Profile photo of SWu
    SWu
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Exactly, that’s the thing. Of course i can rearrange the faders…

The thing is: my standard set up was 22ch + 22mon-splits (from IP23to44)… we had a tour and in between the Tour there were some changes (especially some mon-channels were not needed so that i could use them for support bands etc..)
    rearranging over the strip-assign worked fine on the tour.
    now i’m one week before the next tour starts and we puttet the changings in the new rider… and my plan was to “clean-up” my setup.
    I’ve got 48 channels full on work so it can (with a little bit of time-stress) be very annoying if you have to search for your channels (even in the strip assign-menu)…

but anyway thanks a lot!!!!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I see…

You can copy and paste the input processing, but you might need a pen and paper for the mix send levels.

It doesn’t fix your problem, but you can configure the “Alt View” button to show you which input or which mix something is. Eg, if you want to insert a gated reverb FX on your snare, but you can’t remember which channel number you used for snare, holding “Alt View” can show you.

EDIT: I have an idea, not tried yet. The “Sel” button shows you the processing for the input or mix and the “Mix” button shows you the mix send levels for that input or mix. copy>sel>paste>sel copies and pastes the processing settings, so would copy>mix>paste>mix copy and paste the send levels?

EDIT again: Yes! this works. In the editor right click on the mix button of a channel and choose “copy mix assignments”. Then right click on the mix button of the next channel and press “paste mix assignments”.

Cool. 🙂

Chris

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Chris has got it right!
    But there are some details to consider:

-CopyPasting the mix the “select” button will copy and paste channel settings like EQ, Comp, Gate and Delay (only processing data, NOT PREAMP DATA).

-CopyPasting the “Mix” button will copy and paste assignments and levels of Aux, Grp and L/R mixes (BUT NOT “Pre/Post” SETTINGS!!!).

-CopyPasting Preamp&Trim (the oval green select button ONLY IN MIXER OVERVIEW, not in Processing screen) copies the input parameters (BUT NOT THE INPUT PATCH and NOT THE NAMES&COLORS!)

Channel Inserts can NOT be CopyPasted!

Now if you have 22 channels and want to put a new channel between -say- ch-10 and ch-11, you start to CopyPaste (“Sel” AND “Mix” AND “Preamp sel.” and “Input Names&Colors”) ch-22 to ch-23, then ch-21 to ch-22, 20 to 21 and so on until you have copied ch-11 to 12.
    Ch-11 is doubled on 12 so you can now put a new setting and instrument on ch-11.
    Then CopyPaste all Channel Names&colors.
    Then check your input patch (but I assume you want to keep them).
    And then check “Pre/Post” settings again. For most monitor mixes they should stay the same…

A little footwork to do, tricky sh*t but it works.
    hopethathelped…

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

SWu –

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I went through the “channel insert” dilemma years ago on an LS9, and determined that if I had tight packed the channels and needed to add more, they would go to the end of the current channels, with their own new channel splits. Quick and safe.

Now, if I have a band that is one of my “regulars”, I ask if they have alternate setups – I then leave channels for the horns, percussion or whatever they come up with for those special occasions. I also have some generic scenes I’ve set up for standard 4-5 piece rock combos up to 10-12 piece horn/percussion bands.

IMO, there are so many ways to screw yourself by inserting channels that I avoid this action.

-Tim T

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Sorry for this double post, being new to this forum I didn`t know how to edit/correct my first post. Here we go:

Chris has got it right!
    But there are some details to consider:

You can right-click to copy/paste all Mix and Select buttons in the editor window (whole mixer), but not in the processing (screen) window.

-right-click the Channel Sel button will copy and paste channel settings like EQ, Comp, Gate and Delay (only processing data,BUT NO PREAMP DATA).

-right-click the Channel Mix button will copy and paste assignments and levels of Aux, Grp and L/R mixes (BUT NO PRE/POST-SETTINGS!!!).

-right-click the preamp field ( ONLY IN MIXER OVERVIEW, not in Processing screen) copies the input parameters like gain, phantom, pad…(BUT NOT THE INPUT PATCH and NAMES & COLORS!)

Channel Inserts can NOT be Copied/Pasted!

Now if you have 22 channels and want to put a new channel between -say- ch-10 and ch-11, you start to CopyPaste (SEL and MIX and Preamp and manually copy Input Names&Colors) ch-22 to ch-23, then ch-21 to ch-22, 20 to 21 and so on until you have copied ch-11 to 12.
    Ch-11 is doubled on 12 now, so you can now put a new setting and instrument on old ch-11.

Then check your input patch (but I understand your goal was want to keep that).
    And then check “Pre/Post” settings again. For standard band applications they might also stay the same…

A little footwork to do, tricky sh*t but it works.
    hopethathelped…

end of edit

Profile photo of SWu
    SWu
    Participant

Hello together,

sorry for this late reply! To finish this whole thing:

Pit thank you very much for the tip with the right click in the editor! I didn’t know about the copy function for the editor.
    In the end this worked totally fine !!! Yesterday i used the new setup and everything worked!!

Thanks!!

SWu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.