Mixing on iPad, yes or no?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mixing on iPad, yes or no?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What sort of wireless headphones are you using Giga?

And does any one else have a prefered model to transmit from the desk direct into heaphones?

For now I’m using the LD-systems MEI 1000. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done until I can justify a Shure/Sennheiser kit. I’m using it with an Extreme Isolation set of cans.

Giga

Profile photo of DanS
    DanS
    Participant

I have been using an iPad 2 recently for mixing in the smaller gigs, but have been finding that it gets quite heavy after 2 hours of holding it in the same position!
    Has anyone found a lanyard type case, or a good way of keeping the iPad on you all the time?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I use a round base mic stand with a holder clamped to it. The holder I’ve got is very quick to remove the iPad from if I need to, but most of the time I just pick up the whole stand and take it with me. Being a mic stand, I can adjust the height for sitting/ standing quickly too.
    Also on the stand are a radio mic clip for my talkback mic, and a drinks holder.

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

And a “drinks holder”, brilliant idea!!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I had turned knobs, pushed buttons and moved faders for a long time, within two months of using my QU-Pac and mixing on an iPad or sometimes two I don’t really miss faders. I use it on everything from corporate meetings to pop concert bands using all 32 channels.
    With the Qu series you can get to just about everything on the surface with an iPad.
    For some (less demanding) events I scale it down and use a Soundcraft UI16.

My large analog boards only come out two times a year since going with the QU-Pac and that is for the school plays I do sound for. With 24 wireless mics and the on fly cues I do need all fingers and thumbs on faders.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I forgot to add that when I need a talk back to the stage I use a headset wireless mic, the receiver stays mounted and wired in the rack with QU-Pac. When PFL monitoring is needed I’ll hook up a Sennheiser IEM.

Profile photo of Mike M
    Mike M
    Participant

QU16 and 24 user here. I usually “rough mix” using faders and then switch to an iPad mini and walk the room/tweak.

I am not totally comfortable doing everything on my iPad at this time…maybe it’s the fact that I can only see 8 channels at one time on my iPad..

Once the mix is “roughed in” only minor adjustments are needed anyway.

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I’ve been mixing shows with an ipad for over a year. Works great for me. Took some getting used to and I do miss the tactile feel of faders and knobs, but enjoy the freedom to roam the room. And club owners love that I don’t take up large amounts of real estate in their venues. On the other hand, in packed rooms, I miss not having a cordoned off, designated area of my own!

For multi band festivals and theatrical shows (with up to 24 wireless mics), I still use my QU-32 as FOH. Just easier for me.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For multi band festivals and theatrical shows (with up to 24 wireless mics), I still use my QU-32 as FOH. Just easier for me.

I use my iPad for the multi band shows I do with no problem but like you for the few theatrical / school class plays I do I bring out my GL2400 and do it old school with
    my fingers on a lot of faders.

Actually during class play season is the only time I bring out a large board any more since getting my Qu Pac system.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.