Managing channel levels (fader) on Mix7&8

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Managing channel levels (fader) on Mix7&8

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Salem874
    Salem874
    Participant

Hello All,

Firstly, let me begin by thanking this community for all your help in getting me into the world of audio with the Qu. You’ve helped a lot on my odd/random questions.

We (a house of worship) now have a feed going from going from the Qu-24, to a ATEM Mini Extreme (via Mix7&8 out on the Qu) for live streaming (thanks again to this community for your involvement in this)

I do however have a question.

We are facing a bizarre “issue” (If I’m honest, it’s probably not an issue, more a user/operator problem ;-)) in we are having to keep our channel faders on the LR Mix pretty high (with LR Master low for in-house) in order to get appropriate volume levels out to Mix7&8!

I initially thought this is to do with Pre/Post-Fade settings, where the settings for the relevant channel on LR was set to Post-Fade? We have however checked and things appear to be set to Pre-Fader…
    Interestingly, the ST3 is also set to Pre-Fader, but behaves differently. ST3 can be low (ie “inf” db) on the LR but will audio level coming out of 7&8 fully respects the ST3 fader on 7&8 (ie we have audio). This doesn’t work on the other channels.

I hope the above makes sense, I’m struggling to put it into words lol!

(Oh, and on another note, we seem to be getting a constant buzz on 7&8 out at around 100Hz. Other than trying to manage this via PEQ, is there anything else we could look into?)

Can anyone advise/provide any suggestions?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You’ll have to set the sources going to mix 7/8 pre-fader (which would have the same effect as setting the faders at unity but in post-fader mode).

The buzz is probably a grounding (or lack there-off) issue between the mixer and the streaming thingy.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As for the buzz as Giga said you’ll need transformer isolation between the mixer and ATEM.

How are you connecting the mixer to the ATEM, are you using the XLR Mix 7&8 outputs or are you routing through the ALT OUT and using the 1/4 inch outputs.
    It takes proper cabling to go from balanced XLR outputs to a 3.5mm TRS stereo input.
    If you have the wrong interface connections you could be cancelling out a good portion of the signal level due to phase cancellation going from a balanced connection into a stereo unbalanced input.

With the ATEM control software you can adjust the audio input gain on the ATEM switcher.

I’m going to say you should be using a post fade mix send for live streaming, start off with the send levels at maybe 50% and bump up the spoken word input channels a little higher.
    That way you live stream mix will track along with the main mix, you can adjust the send levels as needed to help balance the live stream mix.
    That is unless you have someone who actively mixing just for live stream.

Salem874
    Participant

Hi @mikec,

Thanks to you and @giga‘s advice regarding the buzzing.

We did think it might be earthing/grounding electrical related. Would you have any suggestion “transformer isolation”?

We have the Qu-24 connected to the ATEM via XLR Mix 7&8 Out on the mixer, though to the 3.5mm the inputs on the ATEM Mini Extreme (Mic 1 & 2, split). I’d ideally like to have them in the same singular MIC input on the ATEM but this wasn’t given stereo (again, I did think this was related to the cable used).

I am actually the main person doing the mix for the ATEM (adjusting the 7&8 Mix), with another team member doing the FOH mix – as previous attempts to have the 7&7 mostly follow L+R didn’t quite give the desired results.

Salem874
    Participant

A quick look online has brought up this transformer/isolator, am I on the right track/is this the kind of thing to look for?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Yeah, that should I think. Usually ART works nicely for reasonable money. You’ll also have to source 3.5mm Y-split.

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Your link didn’t work for me but if this is the part you linked to, it would work.

https://www.artproaudio.com/product/dti-dual-transformer-isolator/

Yes you would need a 3.5mm to RCA Y cable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.