Latency

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

latency ,

dear people I want to reduce latency on my system, I have a sq5, a sennheiser digital 6000 and rcf tt speakers, a nice set, but I feel and taste latency even though it is very minimal, or I’ve gone crazy imagining this could be 🙂 I don’t use extra plugins on my sq5, a compressor, hpf and eq are standard from the sq5, of course, do people have any tips to improve that latency? or should I just replace my digital stuff?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

The SQ adds less than 0.7ms latency to your system (see datasheet. There was also a guy on youtube who did a measuring and cam with a value around 0.5ms, but no guarantee for that)… that is fixed and does not change whether you use compressor, EQ or anything else on the channel strips. That Latency can only be increased by using an insert plugin (as far as I know).

I dont find the latency of the Sennheiser system — but I assume, its higher than that…

So if you want to reduce latency, my feeling is: first use cables instead of wireless mics.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

PS: My feeling is also, you may be right with saying “or I’ve gone crazy imagining this could be 🙂”

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

According to Sennheiser, the latency for the 6000 series is 3-3.2 milliseconds.

This means total latency would be less than 4ms on the wireless channels and less than 1ms for the rest of the inputs. If you can “hear” this latency, there is something else going on with your system. (4ms latency is the difference between standing 1ft from a speaker vs 5 ft from a speaker). Double check your delay settings (on both individual inputs and outputs) for example. Perhaps something got changed with the delays and it is causing your issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.