IP8 Surfaceless setup- Mixrack or Surface control?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions IP8 Surfaceless setup- Mixrack or Surface control?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Seth Seth 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

I am working on designing a surfaceless setup with an IP8, POE+ network switch, and Microsoft surface tablet running dLive Director at FOH, controlling a CMD32 onstage. I’ve noticed in dLive Director that I can configure an IP8 under MixRack > Controllers OR under Surface > Controllers. When configuring under MixRack, I can’t set any of the buttons to the Select function. I thought I’d get around this by enabling “Select follows PAFL” and just using PAFL buttons, but no dice. Should I be configuring my IP8 under Surface > Controllers instead, even though I will not be using an actual “control surface” such as a CTI1500?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Have you read about the differences for both methods in Director manual?

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

Have you read about the differences for both methods in Director manual?

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have consulted the Director manual but it doesn’t seem to address my question. Is it OK to program the IP8 as a “surface” controller, rather than a “MixRack” controller when I will be mixing with only Director and the IP8, no CTi1500; i.e. Director acts as a “virtual” surface? This would allow me to use the SEL function on the buttons, rather than having to mess with a touchscreen to select channels.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

If you want the IP8 with functions of a surface, you have to connect it with Surface & MixRack.
    Why not just try it in simulation mode in Director and test it?

Profile photo of Mikki
    Mikki
    Participant

You have to run in surface mode if you want to have the sel option. I do this in a Surface-less setup and it works great. 🙂

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

You have to run in surface mode if you want to have the sel option. I do this in a Surface-less setup and it works great. 🙂

Thank you, this is what I was hoping to hear!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.