Installation system without gigaACE

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Installation system without gigaACE

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

I need to instal a system in my venue IT but dont want to use gigaACE (and cant) and be able to use the local In’s and Out’s from the Surface using a Tie Line the Dante installed on it.

System
    – Mixrack DM0 with Dante card 128×128
    – Surface C1500 with Dante card 64×64
    – 3 x DT168

In both Mixrack and Surface I use one Ethernet port on one VLAN I use for control, and one Dante Port in one VLAN I use for Dante.

I can control the Mixrack but I can have access to the local channels on the surface because I can make the tieline because they dont let access them.

For what I see the local analogue channels on the surface only sync if they have a Clock from a gigaACE cable from the mixrack(that I cant and dont want to use)

Why cant we chose the clock source from the surface analogue channels from the clock of the dante card for exemple ???

This is a very big limitation for installations like mine that are all in a IT environment .

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You need the GigaACE link to control the system.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

Hi Stefan; No I dont , if you connect just the ethernet ports on both it controls everything…I already try it.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

Were it is the case

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Not sure about your other questions but I think Steffen answered correct for those questions.

“Why cant we chose the clock source from the surface analogue channels from the clock of the dante card for exemple ???”

Dante handles the clock conversion on the card.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

Because the Surface dont let you chose the clock you want ….just work with the clock from the input os the gigaACE….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi JMaya,
    To use any of the Surface audio I/O, PAFL, Talkback and Surface I/O Port, you will need a valid gigaACE connection to the MixRack. Without the gigaACE link, you can only have TCP/IP control and metering data.
    The Surface to MixRack connection is not supported over Dante or other formats.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

HI Nicola;
    This is a big disappointment. It would be possible in a future firmware upgrade this will be possible ? In fixed installations like ours, the DM0 is mounted in a technical area and is connected to the building’s IT structure network and the control surface moves from one side to the other and in these places we only have structure network connections (Control and Dante ) and as you know the gigaACE protocol is not easy if not impossible to cohabit in a structured network.

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

Do the mix positions and mix rack share a common network rack? If so then just hard patch some lines from one port to another in the network rack) and dedicate them to GigaACE.
    If you are willing to do without redundancy, the two GigaACE ports on the DM0 could be wired so that one goes to each mix position.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

I dont want to use gigaCAE .

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

Nicola,
    Is there any way that in the future a GigaACE connection to a port on another surface could be made to work instead of directly to a Mix Rack?

We have a CDM64 and two C2500, with a Dante card and a GigaACE card for the second surface.
    As things currently stand the GigaACE card must be in the CDM64. That means the Dante card has to be in the primary surface, even though I would prefer that it be in the Mix Rack.

I tried putting the Dante card in the Mix Rack and the GigaACE card in Port4 of the primary surface. I thought that perhaps I might be able to use tie lines to least get PAFL to the second surface, if not full surface I/O working. However, when connected like that, the second surface kept rebooting in a loop.

Profile photo of JMaya
    JMaya
    Participant

msteel;

The problem is that is not possible to chose on the surface other clock source…..it is always gigaACE by default ……BIG DRAWBACK …….. But something that I almost can swear that A&H can resolve with a firmware upgrade on the Surfaces……

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I’d be surprised if they could. I don’t think regular shares computer networks have precise enough timing to carry clock signals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.