How to record concert using the direct output XLR

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions How to record concert using the direct output XLR

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Baf418 Baf418 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

Hello everyone.
    I want to record a concert without affecting the setup of the tech. I want to record all individual mics. How can i do by using the XLR direct output ? What is the configuration to do on that board ?
    My idea is to use the direct output to my Tascam US-16X08 and than to my Daw on my laptop. Thank you for your answer

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Direct outs are per-channel. You would want a separate mix out, like a matrix that is a copy of the main LR mix.

Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

Thank you for your answer.
    Like that i can have all the mics separated on my DAW ?
    How can i do that configuration on the board ? There is a picture of what is in use on the board.

Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

if i use the direct output XLR to my Tascam US-16×08, what configuration on the board i need to do ? If i use the direct output XLR , this gonna affect the setting of the tech for the concert?
    Again thank you for your answer

Profile photo of DeadApe
    DeadApe
    Participant

Hi there,

regarding your actual question, with the Avantis you’d configure tie lines from the inputs you want to track to the local outputs and then use XLR cables from the local outputs to your Tascam.

Having said that, I saw that this is your second thread regarding that topic, so I’ll say the only thing that will *really* help you: Get in touch with the local tech working on that show. While I think it’s a good effort to try to make it “as easy as possible” for the local crew, you’re actually doing the opposite by trying to come with your own solution without proper understanding of the system that will be in place that day.

The least work possible for any tech is if you approach them in advance (before show day!), let them know what your plan is and don’t try to come up with a technical solution that might interfere with anything they have set up. The worst case is someone reaching out only on show day asking for a multitrack recording.

Be prepared that it might very well be that they’re declining your request for a multitrack, because it does add extra workload (and you can’t help with that) and additionally, it’s not a given that the technical circumstances allow a separate multitrack recording.

Not trying to come off rude, just trying to help. 🙂

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It depends on the model of the desk, but there are only 6 or 12 XLR outputs available.

Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

Hi.
    Thank you for your answer. I apreciate.
    The situation is that im 11 hours drive of the concert place. Just trying to know the option to bring all what i need to record that show. Next step of course will be to communicate with the tech,youre right.
    So now that i know i can use the direct output XLR to my Tascam, i think that will not be hard setting for the tech to make this happen. Maybe im wrong but i believe that can work . Again thank you to answer me and feel free to let me know if i have to know more for that happen. Best regards

Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

This board have 12 output XLR

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If the XLR outputs are used for other signals, it would be difficult to use it.

Profile photo of Baf418
    Baf418
    Participant

I got a picture of the board and no output XLR are used accept one ( 13-14 ) so 1 to 12 are free.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.