How to input digital audio from synth directly into SQ mixer

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions How to input digital audio from synth directly into SQ mixer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mgavriliu
    mgavriliu
    Participant

Is there a way to get several channels of S/PDIF into the SQ?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Not digitally as there are no digital inputs for the SQ (unless you connect a laptop via the USB-B port or purchase and install the Dante card).
    You need to first convert the SPDIF into analog and connect it to the console.

Profile photo of mgavriliu
    mgavriliu
    Participant

The synths all have analog out. The idea is to use their digital outs and avoid extra conversions to analog and back to digital. Afterall, SQ is a digital mixer.

Slink or Dante can bring digital audio in but what would go on the other end to connect S/PDIF to? I can’t seem to find a “digital” stage box with slink/Dante or some other format supported by SQ and several stereo digital inputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@mgavriliugmail-com ,

You could convert the SPDIF to AES and then use a DX32 (support planned for SQ V1.4).
    Other than this, you would need to convert to Dante (expensive) or use analogue.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

@keith: Does that mean, that you when you use a dx32 with an sq you can have more than 48 analoge inputs?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

You could purchase an AES3 to Dante converter like the Dante AVIO AES3 and then connect this to the SQ via a Dante card. Each AVIO AES3 (roughly $150 USD) carries a stereo input and output, so you will get a stereo feed from your keyboard. You would need to convert from SPDIF to AES3 at the keyboard itself, but there are plenty of methods for that.

KeithJ A&H

@lomtas ,

It depends what you mean by ‘inputs’ –
    The SQ has a fixed 48 input processing channels, though you can connect many more sockets than this and switch input patching using scenes if required (in fact, an SQ with an SLink card fitted has over 300 sources available per channel).

So we refer to ‘input channels’ and ‘sockets’ as two separate things.

For more information on SLink – (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_3_0.pdf)
    For more information on DX specifically – (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/DX-System-Guide-ISS_2.pdf)

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

Wow Keith, thanks for your answer.
    Sorry but I did not understand the difference between Input channels and sockets. Can you tell me what you mean with socket?
    You write in the description of DX you linked: “The DX system enables engineers to increase analogue and AES3 digital I/O in dLive and SQ systems”. But that has no effect to the max 48 Input processing channels?
    Is there a way to have more than 48 analoge Inputs in an SQ mixer?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm. There are input processing channels (48) which can have input signals from several sources. Physical, analog inputs as well as digital only inputs. Physical inputs can be the local xlr inputs, or xlr input „socket“ or xlr inputs from a dx168x and so on. If you use several dx168x connected to your slink connector you can choose among 145 xlr input sockets (assuming a SQ5 with 16 standard xlr inputs, one talkback input and a maximum of 128 xlr inputs via the slink connector). But you can only use 48 of them at the same time. Additionally yau can use the jack input….sockets also as an input source.

And there are also digital inputs coming from USB or the option card. All of these are also a kind of „input sockets“. You can coose either those inputs or the analog ones in any combination bur, again, not more than 48 at the same time.

KeithJ A&H

@lomtas

Analogue I/O, digital I/O and sockets can all be thought of as the same things. With analogue it’s easy to see these are physical connection points.
    Channels on the other hand, include all the processing and mixing functions.

So the channel processing and mixing all takes place in the SQ core, and adding expansion units gives you access to more sockets (I/O), but not more processing.

A couple of other points- the new Tie Lines allow you to patch input sources to output destinations without using up any of the processing channels, and all FX units have dedicated stereo returns, so this also avoids using any input channels up.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of hsk
    hsk
    Participant

Hey Keith,

Thanks for being so helpful in these forums.

Any idea when the SQ v1.4 firmware may be released?

I saw somewhere in another thread it had been intended for v1.3 as well, but I suppose it didn’t make it.
    I was hoping to use a DX32 at a show with an SQ-6 in a couple of weeks, but I’m looking for other options (AR2412) because it isn’t officially supported yet.

Thanks!

KeithJ A&H

@hkhalsa ,

It was indeed planned for V1.3, though it was not as requested as some of the other features, and therefore got nudged out to V1.4.
    We do not give ETA’s on releases, as they are always subject to development and test cycles, though I’m afraid it’s definitely further out than the next few weeks.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.