Faders on Touchscreen

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Faders on Touchscreen

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Benni Valenti
    Benni Valenti
    Participant

would it be possible to create virtual fader banks in the touchscreen, or at least one bank for fx return?

another very useful effect for me ( for my musician..) realtime autotune ?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Why do you need virtual fader banks?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You cannot change what is displayed on the DLive Surface screens other than what is allowed by the firmware. However you can have a computer with it’s own touchscreen running some software to give you access to the DLive system. There are three different software options that I can think of off the top of my head. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

The most obvious option is to run an instance of the DLive Director software. With the DLive system, the Director software acts as another surface which means the layers can be independent of the main surface (ie you can have a totally different set of layers in Director vs the physical surface). Basically it gives a “virtual surface” that can do everything that a physical surface can do.

Optionally, A&H offers their CustomControl software which you can use to design and create your own layouts. The advantage is the software is free and works on just about any OS. The disadvantage is the functionality/options you can include in your design are fairly limited. If you just want custom faders, it will work fine, but it is not a substitute for the DLive Director app which gives full control over the system and all settings.

Finally, the third option is to use the third party app, Mixing Station, to do the same thing. The Mixing Station app has a lot more functionality built into it vs the Custom Control software and a lot more flexibility is GUI design/layout than the Director software. Mixing Station also supports Midi fader banks, so it is an easy and inexpensive way to add more physical faders should you decide the touchscreen isn’t adequate enough and you want physical faders.

SteffenR
    Participant

I guess he means faders on the surface screen. At least that’s why I asked.

Benni Valenti
    Participant

yes exactly, fader bank on the surface screen,on the c2500 for example, so i don’t need to switch between layers too often, so i don’t need additional devices like tablets

SteffenR
    Participant

But the screen would show only the selected layer.

Benni Valenti
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be possible to decouple the selected layer and what’s on the screen?

SteffenR
    Participant

That would break the normal workflow. And how would you achieve this?

There are other ways to have fader control over different channels. Ok, they cost some money đŸ˜‰

I would love to see a 12 channel side-car like extension.
    With layer control and full button support, select, mix, mute and pafl buttons and encoders.
    A C1500 without screen and audio.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I would personally not like to have faders on screen. That is what Director is designed to do. Maybe rotaries as an emergency fail safe if a physical fader goes out, but there are better ways to expand control.

It’s an expensive sidecar, but any Dlive surface can be a remote control if you connect it by network port.

Mixing Station with a midi fader bank also works well. Of course, you lose the Mix button in place of a typical SOF workflow.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I would love to see a 12 channel side-car like extension.
    With layer control and full button support, select, mix, mute and pafl buttons and encoders.
    A C1500 without screen and audio.

I am surprised that A&H hasn’t expanded their IP offerings to include something like this: an IP12 with 12 faders AND encoders, scribble screens, mutes, PAFLs, selects, and layer buttons. Of course knowing A&H’s pricing on their current IP lineup, something like that would probably retail for 3k+ which is likely why they haven’t bothered. (edit – plus it would likely take away sales from the C1500)

One thing I hate about the current IP devices (and one reason I don’t think they are very popular currently) is that they only have faders OR encoders right now. I’m sure most people want faders AND encoders on the unit. If they would “fix” this on their current lineup, I think they would be much more popular.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Maybe we could an IP24 with two stacked banks of 12 faders, in a form-factor that’d literally bolt onto the side of the board? It’d be nice to be able to edit their layouts with the rest of the faders (although not being able to program the cue buttons differently would be a bummer).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.