EQ an acoustic guitar – Acoustic guitar sound poor

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions EQ an acoustic guitar – Acoustic guitar sound poor

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mixsit mixsit 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

I have a top end Moon acoustic guitar with a high end pick up. I’ve tried various things – the guitar lets everything down. We are recording live using the multi track option, Everything sounds decent except for the acoustic. I know there is an option in the EQ library but I dont think that helps. I m using a rush volume pedal with the guitar and the Boss E50 wireless lead. Any tips on how to EQ this would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

How are the connections made?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As Showtime is asking, how are you connecting the guitar to the mixer?

Does your guitar have built in preamp as in is there a battery in the guitar
    along with maybe a volume control and some EQ controls on the guitar.

If the guitar has a piezo pickup without any built in preamp you will
    need an external preamp or active DI box. If the guitar has a more traditional
    magnetic pickup and active DI box should still be used.

Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

Mike – so it an LR bags pich up – it has a battey – volume and tone control – I run a samll pedal board as folllows – Boss E5o wirledees guitar lead – tuner – rush volume pedal – harmony singer pedal DI box at the end – So the DI box in to the desk and out out from the Harmony pedal in to Vox

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Start with the process of elimination.

Go from the guitar to the DI box to the mixer with nothing else
    in between and see what that sounds like.

Have the acoustic channel on the mixer set flat, no EQ, no compression and only assigned directly to the main mix.

Did the acoustic sound good at one time and then recently change to
    sound bad?

Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

Mike,

I have bee applying your advice today in my small studio with no one esle around to get in the road!, it sounds decent straght in to the dmain mix/ esk – I would say the Boss E50 wireless lead marginally can make is a bit it muddier –

I took the gain down a lot to about 12 Db – I have no idea where it should be at? – mics are easy enough to google, but acoustic guitars not so much – have you any idea weher it should be set ?

thank you
    Pauline

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Setting the gain on an acoustic guitar is no different than a microphone.

Hit the PFL button on the guitar channel play the guitar some and look at the main meter
    levels on the mixer, with the gain knob set the levels so they just hit into the yellow section on the meter.

Profile photo of Kanypony
    Kanypony
    Participant

Hmm, this is very strange. Maybe the guitar is defective? I advise you to contact the manufacturer’s support service, they can certainly help you. Either there may be a problem with the amplifier, or with the wireless cable. Try plugging your guitar into another amp with a regular cable. Personally, I’ve never trusted wireless cables because I was afraid of something like this, so I prefer best guitar accessories. If the problem is in the equalization, you can simply fix everything with a plugin, for example FabFilter pro q3, or any other your favorite equalizer, in order to fix it, but in any case I would advise you to change the cable. It seems to me that the problem is in it.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Fishman Aura pedal, done. Won’t beat a mic in a good acoustic space. Pickup quack doesn’t ‘eq out.
    I run mine 100% mix mostly, 60-80% wet for tonal options.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.