Effects

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greezy
    Greezy
    Participant

Hi all,
    Im new here but you guys have really helped mee alot. I would like to ask, is it possible to add effects like ghosts, squeaky stuff like that or must i download and if i have to download, where do i get them from and how do i get them to my board?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do you mean you want to play a pre recorded sound effect?

I try to make my own where possible, though there’s plenty places to download them from as a place to start. Freesound.org may be a good first look.

You could playback direct from a USB drive, though something offering a bit more control would probably be better.

If you have a Mac, I’d suggest QLab, which will let you do stereo playback for free, either timed and/or by triggering when you want, and has time/pitch adjustment within the program. Stereo output defaults to channels 1&2 on your QU when plugged into the USB B port. If you need more than stereo (or any of the other stuff a licence unlocks), you can rent an audio licence by the day for less than the price of a couple of coffees.
    Oh and it does video & lights too!

Profile photo of Greezy
    Greezy
    Participant

Noo.
    I mean i would like to change an actors voice to sound like the devil. The same way you would add reverb to a singer or delay to a sax, i would like to change the actors voice to sound devilish.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

There is no pitch change or distortion effects in a Qu console. You would have to have some sort of external effects unit to accomplish this.

You might be able to hook up a computer to the console via the USB-B port on the back and open up a DAW on that computer. Then route a signal of the actor’s microphone input to a channel on the DAW. In the DAW, insert some distortion, pitch-change and even reverb or echo plugins to that DAW channel. Then the output of the DAW can be patched into an unused channel on the Qu. Simply unmute the DAW channel on the console when you need it.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I actually could have used a pitch shift type effect for that same thing for a small play I did sound for. After looking the effect libraries I could not find one that would do it.

Not a big deal for 99.5% of what I do, for my live mixes a couple different verbs and a delay will do it

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You just need to take the time to sort out the combination of onboard fx which will fit your concept. Flange, chorus, reverb and EQ should let you sculpt what you need…and going tjrough the process will teach you a LOT.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I ended up up using a chorus with modulation combination that got the idea
    across but still not the same as an octave or so pitch shift would have been.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

You could try sending to a DAW through USB, process the voice with desired real time effects, and route back to the board.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.