CQ12T FX Send/Return Feedback Loop

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions CQ12T FX Send/Return Feedback Loop

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of travroy travroy 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of travroy
    travroy
    Participant

Hello, I can’t get my outboard FX chain to work as a send/return on the CQ12T.

– Stereo source on inputs 1/2 (linked)
    – Outputs 1/2 (linked) to guitar FX chain input
    – Guitar FX output to the dedicated stereo input pair

When I send inputs 1/2 to output 1/2, and assign the dedicated stereo input (FX return) to master out, I get a feedback loop. I’m clearly missing something simple, but no amount of routing assignments seems to stop the feedback. Thank you in advance!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

When I send inputs 1/2 to output 1/2, and assign the dedicated stereo input (FX return) to master out, I get a feedback loop.

Yes, you assign the output to the input. The feedback is there before you route it to the master, but routing it to the master makes it audible.
    Rethink your signal chain.

Plug your guitar to channel 1, send it to the FX with output 1, take the FX chain on 3/4. Make sure 3/4 isn’t routed to output 1.

Profile photo of travroy
    travroy
    Participant

Thank you. Where did 3/4 come from? Is that an input or output?

If input, why can’t I use the dedicated stereo pair instead of 3/4?

If output, how am I routing the output of my FX chain to an output on the mixer?

Long experience on smaller analog mixers like SSL Six and Mackie… This is something else. lol

Edit: Keeping the stereo pair potted down and just raising output 1/2 did the trick.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On an analog mixer you would not turn up the FX aux send on the channel that same FX is being returned to the mixer input, that would create the same kind of internal feedback loop.

Profile photo of millerthriller
    millerthriller
    Participant

I suspect that you sent audio from the dedicated stereo input pair to output 1/2. This would explain the feedback loop.

Did you verify that the faders of the Stereo Input (ST IN) are set to “OFF” for the sends to Out1 and Out2 (see attached file)?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of travroy
    travroy
    Participant

You are correct. I didn’t realize hitting “send to” opened the page for all sends on all channels (doh), and missed the fact that I had the stereo return sending back to output 1/2. All good now.

Profile photo of travroy
    travroy
    Participant

Mike C – To clarify, I said the stereo return was sending to master output, not 1/2 output. Had I known it was sending to the master AND 1/2 output, the problem would have been obvious.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.