Cascade Order for AB168 and AR2412

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Cascade Order for AB168 and AR2412

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lawrence Lawrence 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to get a cascading configuration to work in the following system:
    A&H GLD-80 (@ FOH)
    A&H AB168 (@ FOH)
    A&H AR2412 (@ stage)

My goal is to go from the GLD-80 dSnake output port to the AB168 dSnake input. Then out of the AB168 expander output, into the AR2412 dSnake input.

In this configuration, my GLD-80 sees the AR2412 on the “dSnake” I/O page, but does not see any device on the “dSnake Exp” I/O page.

If I flip the order of the devices (GLD-80-> AR2412 Expander Out -> AB168), I can see the AR2412 on the “dSnake” page and see the AB168 on the “dSnake Exp” page.

So, I know my two Ethercon cables I’m using to make these connections do work and that the devices do have the capability of talking to each other, just not in the order I want. It’s the specific order I’m trying to use is what’s tripping things up.

I’m trying to cascade these boxes in this order because I need more inputs & outputs onstage than I do at my FOH position next to my console.

How can I make these devices successfully all see each other in this order? What would be preventing the AB168 from being seen in this configuration?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Lawrence,

This is due to the architecture of dSnake which was designed to have a main audiorack and a cascaded expander, with fixed channel allocation for each. As such, the AR2412 cannot be connected second in the chain, it has to be the first (main) dSnake device.

Depending on your FoH needs you could consider an AR84 connected directly to the Exp port of the GLD.

Lawrence
    Participant

Ah! Ok, that makes sense. So, whatever the “main audio rack” device is can have 24 input channels max and the cascaded expander coming out of the main audio rack can have 16 channels max? That’s why the AR2412 can’t be seen in the cascaded expander position in the dSnake flow, because it has more inputs than is alotted for that expander position. That explains why my device chain works in one order and not the other.

On the subject of dSnake connectivity, am I able to use a AR2412 -> AB168 cascaded together in the proper order, on the Qu-16 or Qu-32 A&H console? This venue is thinking of switching consoles to one of those models, but I want to make sure their new console can still work with the stageboxes they already have installed in the space.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On the subject of dSnake connectivity, am I able to use a AR2412 -> AB168 cascaded together in the proper order, on the Qu-16 or Qu-32 A&H console? This venue is thinking of switching consoles to one of those models, but I want to make sure their new console can still work with the stageboxes they already have installed in the space.

The AR2412 and AB168 will work with both the QU16 and the QU32. Keep in mind the stage boxes do no expand the channel count the QU series, you still only have the total number of channels available that the mixer surface has.
    You can mix local inputs with stage box inputs as long as the total number of channels equals the mixer surface.

You can squeeze a couple more mic inputs by assigning a stage box mic input to on of the mixers stereo input channels.

Also stage box input routing and channel source selection is saved as part of a scene so you could have various inputs connected to the mixer and stage box that are only use
    for certain events and just recall the scenes as needed to activate those inputs.

Lawrence
    Participant

Thanks for that! I have been using scenes to manage inputs between mixer and stagebox as needed for events – a smart way to do it for sure.

Is there a rackmounted version of the AB168? That would have rack ears instead of rubber feet, and maybe IEC & Ethercon connections on the rear/front instead of on the side?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

There is a rack mounting kit for the AB/DX/DT 168 boxes.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have mine racked,the rack mount is a AB168-RK19.

There is a long rack ear that goes on the side of connections so you
    have room to get to the D Snake connections and the power connector.

Lawrence
    Participant

Great info. Thanks guys for your knowledge!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.