blown speakers???

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions blown speakers???

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

is it possible to damage speakers if the proper screen sign out is used?

do we need another device between the speakers and Qu? sequencer? other??

new MD insists on powering off speakers then power off Qu on back switch not via screen.
    old MD used the screen and no problems.

somehow our main speakers got blown so now using two on stands in church.
    could new MD have done that by trying to get more bass and subwoofer bass?
    (he installed new subwoofers) and
    i thought we had a high pass filter in the chain so he would have cranked volume to hear any subwoofer range bass

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The QU does have a rather nasty power on/off thump. I don’t think it matters whether you uses the screen shutdown option, as this is only for QU memory. It is important that you turr on the power amps that drive the speakers AFTER the QU has booted, and that you turn off the amps BEFORE you turn off the QU. We use a 3=step power sequencer to ensure this sequence is followed. Highly recommended.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

thanks

i thought we had a sequencer earlier
    and never had thumps before

suspect new MD removed it by mistake when he rewired everything and moved them to new places
    along with some other really olde gear
    including two!?? hp filters/eq analog boxes not needed now

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Welcome back, sounds like you still have way tooooo many helpfull hands breaking things.

In one way or another you need to turn on the mixer and any accessory equipment, wireless mics ect. first before turning on any amplifiers or powered speakers.

Do the reverse when powering down, put the mixer in the shutdown mode before powering off. You can put the mixer in the shutdown mode before powering anything off, putting it
    in the shutdown mode does not create any bad noise or pops.

You can set up a master power sequencer that triggers remote power modules located at powered speaker locations.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Actually I want to know how someone removes a power sequencer by mistake.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I would say the blown speakers are direct result of a mis configured system and heavy handed operation.
    Proper power sequencing is still a must.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.