Add DCA vs. actual fader position indicator to channel strips

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis feature suggestions Add DCA vs. actual fader position indicator to channel strips

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CameronProAudio CameronProAudio 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CameronProAudio
    CameronProAudio
    Participant

Currently there is there no indication for channels when a DCA is used to boost or cut the channel level. I had a guest engineer get burned at a show recently when he couldn’t get any output from any of his band channels. Turns out there was a DCA not assigned to a layer that was assigned to “all band inputs” and somehow got turned all the way down. His music playback channel/talkbalk/etc channels worked fine. But every other channel seemed like it wasn’t routing to any buses though they were. I figured it out the next day after he wound up recalling his starting show file and rebuilding his show to finish up sound check.

I’m a long time Avid Venue user, and one of a few things I love about that board is that when a VCA (DCA) alters and channel fader level, there’s a clear red outline of the fader relative to the real position in the UI so you know there is VCA/DCA interaction. This now seems like it could be a critical feature rather than just a nice convenience. It seems like something similar in the Avantis UI should indicate a DCA is affecting the shown fader level. I can see a lack of this indicator causing some real panics for folks in the heat of combat audio. Even higher end analog VCA desks back in the day had LED indicator strips next to the fader that indicated true fader level vs. mechanical when a VCA was assigned and in use. Attached is a screen shot of the Venue UI when VCAs (DCAs) are in use. I also made a markup of what the Avantis UI might look like with a simple small indicator. My proposal for the indicator is that it would only show up when 1) the channel was assigned to a DCA and 2) only when the DCA for those channels was a value other than detent/zero.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    CameronProAudio
    Participant

Here’s the Avid Venue UI with VCA/DCA indicators, image attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

As far as I remember there is a mark in the channel display area if a channel is part of a DCA group.

CameronProAudio
    Participant

Indeed there is, as shown in the markup picture I made. But it doesn’t tell you the contribution of the DCA which would be very nice to have.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.