Soft Patch (y cord) on GLD??

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Soft Patch (y cord) on GLD??

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

I am still wrapping my head around the differences from the Yamaha way and the GLD so if someone could give me a hint…

I want to patch a socket to 2 channel strips so I can process them differently. My most common reason is to have a copy of a vocal channel to use with monitors so I have dynamics going to the main mix but no dynamics for the monitor mix and also being able to have differing EQ settings for both.

My initial approach was to simply drag the channel to 2 places on the surface but that didn’t do it. I just had 2 copies… duh!

Thanks

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

So, since I only have a single AR84 and I plan to use it (in this config) at the suface, I took channel 25 (for example) and in the processing screen, set it to input 17 resulting in 2 channels from input 17.

Is there a way to create some virtual channels so I don’t have to give up a physical socket to achieve the soft patch? This isn’t any better than using a real Y cord other than not having to buy another AR84. Of course, I DO plan to buy one and use it as a drum snake. Then this technique falls apart.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Spence

So, since I only have a single AR84 and I plan to use it (in this config) at the suface, I took channel 25 (for example) and in the processing screen, set it to input 17 resulting in 2 channels from input 17.

Is there a way to create some virtual channels so I don’t have to give up a physical socket to achieve the soft patch? This isn’t any better than using a real Y cord other than not having to buy another AR84. Of course, I DO plan to buy one and use it as a drum snake. Then this technique falls apart.

There are only 48 input processing channels and 48 A/D input sockets when the system’s fully expanded… no “virtual” input channels to burn like you’d have on an LS9.

One possible workaround, if you’re not constrained in terms of your bus count, would be to use a group as a copy of the input channel. I believe you can route the socket of the input you want to copy to the direct input of the group, EQ & compress to taste (no gates on groups though) and then you can route the output of the group to any aux, main, or matrix mix you like.

I’ve never tried this out, since we’re one AR84 short of the maximum so there are plenty of input processing channels available for anything we care to duplicate.

Profile photo of MattLW
    MattLW
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Spence

I am still wrapping my head around the differences from the Yamaha way and the GLD so if someone could give me a hint…

I want to patch a socket to 2 channel strips so I can process them differently. My most common reason is to have a copy of a vocal channel to use with monitors so I have dynamics going to the main mix but no dynamics for the monitor mix and also being able to have differing EQ settings for both.

My initial approach was to simply drag the channel to 2 places on the surface but that didn’t do it. I just had 2 copies… duh!

Thanks

Hi Rob,

If you want to do channel processing, you need to use a channel strip, there are about 48, so just use one you don’t have a physical input for (as you have, shouldn’t be a worry with 2 x AR84’s… plenty spare!), you don’t lose an input’s doing it that way as you can assign any input to any channel strip.

If you used a ‘Y-cord’ you would benefit from having two physically separate inputs. Using the soft patch, you get the same head amp and use up one less physical input.

Y-splitting works just as it does on an LS9 I believe.

Hit select on a channel strip -> Make sure your in the channel processing view -> Select Preamp (so your in the preamp ‘processing’ screen on the touch screen).

(on the PC editor, you need to select the channel, hit processing, then preamp)

Preamp processing page then lets you change the input socket feeding the processing channel (as you would change the head amp feeding a channel strip on an LS9).

That what your after?

hth

matt

http://www.lite-works.co.uk

Profile photo of atrakce
    atrakce
    Participant

In my opinion, there are min. 2 ways how to do it :
    1) hardware splitting (trousers) – 1 instrument/mic to 2 inputs on AR rack / GLD desk
    2) You can assign in I/O config one HW input from AR/GLD to x channel strips, gain and preamp are common, but all other functions are independent. This solution I´m using for my guitar – 1 mic or PALMER DI-09 to 3 strips, copying basic setup of fits strip to 2 others and apply different delay and pan for each channel

GLD80,IPad4
    AR2412
    AR84
    ZED14,ZED18

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Why would soft patching give up a physical socket? Setting channel 25 to get it’s audio from socket 17 doesn’t mean you cant still use socket 25 to feed a different channel.

Input sockets, input channels, and fader strips are completely independent, separate things.

Any channel can be fed from any input socket, and you can put that on as few (none) or as many (all of them) fader strips as you want to.

Select a channel, go to the preamp section, and tell it which socket you want it to gets it’s signal from. More than one channel can be set to receive audio from the same input socket.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That does not work on the I/O screen with stagebox or surface pictorial. I tried that first. Actually locks up and can’t get out.
    Have to reload show.

But it does work on the channel Preamp screen as described. I have a lot of uses for that…

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of atrakce
    atrakce
    Participant

It works also from I/O setup screen !!!!! You can repeatedly use assign function for 1 input socket to x stripes.

quote:

Originally posted by GCumbee

That does not work on the I/O screen with stagebox or surface pictorial. I tried that first. Actually locks up and can’t get out.
    Have to reload show.

But it does work on the channel Preamp screen as described. I have a lot of uses for that…

GLD 80
    AR24/12

GLD80,IPad4
    AR2412
    AR84
    ZED14,ZED18

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Will try again. Could not get it to work. Kept freezing up when I assigned to the second stip.

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The second strip or the second channel?

Chris

Profile photo of thomasnastos
    thomasnastos
    Participant

Just go to a second channel strip -> preamp screen, select the same input at upper left and select Trim on Surface on upper right.Leave first channel strip Preamp on Surface. Now you have 2 different channel strips with same gain but on the second channel you have the Trim Gain to adjust as you wish.All other settings are different so different eq/comp etc for monitor and foh. I think it’s the common way to do such thing in GLD as other users commented before.

Once you do it go to MAIN L/R Routing and set OFF the “monitor strip” from the MAIN L/R so you dont accidentally move the fader or if you want to use a second reverb for monitor, post state (so you must move fader as needed but you dont want sound to main l/r)

Proud GLD Owner

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Chris: Could not get it to work on the surface. When I added the second strip and hit apply, nothing happens and then both channels are frozen. Have to reload show to get back where I was. I tried it several times with same result. Works ok doing it from the preamp only.

GLD 80
    AR2412

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.