Recording Problems with Dante and Remote Desktop

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Recording Problems with Dante and Remote Desktop

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Albin Albin 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Hi!

I have a problem recording with Dante via an 50m CAT5 Cable.
    Its that i have audio Drop outs – no distortion or anything you can see in the waveform, the audio tracks looking normal – its just that the audio drops out for half an second randomly on all tracks. But as said – could not be seen in the waveform…
    Weird.
    So, i want to try to put the laptop on the Mixrack and control it via Remote Desktop from FOH Position.
    But since the Laptop is connected to the Dante Network – is there a way to establish this?
    Hope someone can help here.
    Thanks
    Albin

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Dante is 100% compatible with TCP/IP stack, meaning you can run dante alongside other TCP/IP prococols. Is it really CAT5? Not CAT5e? How many tracks are you trying to do? Cat5 is pretty limited.

I’d say diagnose your problem more, get a different shorter cable and try some recording on it, if you still get dropouts its laptop or dante card issue. if not, get a better cable. just becuase the cable works for iLive control doesn’t mean itll work for Dante (live control data is only 9.1MBps on the T series, dante is far more bandwidth)

quote:

Originally posted by albin

Hi!

I have a problem recording with Dante via an 50m CAT5 Cable.
    Its that i have audio Drop outs – no distortion or anything you can see in the waveform, the audio tracks looking normal – its just that the audio drops out for half an second randomly on all tracks. But as said – could not be seen in the waveform…
    Weird.
    So, i want to try to put the laptop on the Mixrack and control it via Remote Desktop from FOH Position.
    But since the Laptop is connected to the Dante Network – is there a way to establish this?
    Hope someone can help here.
    Thanks
    Albin

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I am curious, what DAW are you running?

I had the same issue with Reaper. Drove me nuts and made me scrap the software as it was unreliable.

I just finished recording a festival with 19 bands with 46 tracks using Logic and it was solid.

T112, iDR48, M-DANTE, PL10, MixPad, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, its just an CAT5 Cable. Thought it should be fine as it is just 50m.
    tk2k – if you say it is 100% compatible with TCP/IP stack – that means exactly? What do i have to do – how do i have to patch that it works as desired? I am not so THE network guy…
    Of course i will try to record with an shorter cable and another laptop also.

I use Cubase 6.5 Artist – want to record 32 channels.

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… you have to use cat5e or cat6 cables.
    this is mentioned in the manual because of the gigabit infrastructure.
    try an (also) inexpensive cat5e cable and see if there are dropouts, too.
    my recommendation is to place the recording-computer onstage – so you have very short
    cable-runs (dantecard -> pc) and you can remote this from foh tunneled through ace.
    by the way: i’m recording with logic, too …

hope this helps :)

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by albin

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, its just an CAT5 Cable. Thought it should be fine as it is just 50m.
    tk2k – if you say it is 100% compatible with TCP/IP stack – that means exactly? What do i have to do – how do i have to patch that it works as desired? I am not so THE network guy…
    Of course i will try to record with an shorter cable and another laptop also.

I use Cubase 6.5 Artist – want to record 32 channels.

As said I’d give cat5e a try

What. Hat means is that it exists with other kinds of ip data “safely”. Basically you can set QOS on your router to give Dante highest priority and still have other traffic going over it. This is different from, say, the Dsnake protocol gld uses (I believe).

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Thanks.
    I will give CAT5e a try.
    And i did not run a router or switch between – connectet the Laptop directly to the Laptop.

One thing also on my mind could be the HDD is running with 5400rpm – maybe thats to slow?

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… no – 5400er harddiscs are quick enough ;)

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

i dont know what computer you have,
    but “over all drops” where in my case the graphics card wich does a quick reset on the mastebus once it is stressed.

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I have an Lenovo X220T.

How do you have got this fixed?

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

[url][/url]Ok, short update – bought a new Laptop (Lenovo X121)

First of all (again) – my problem: My recordings with dante (32 tracks 24bit/48khz) are sounding like they have a hiccup randomly. No distortion or clicks like wrong clocking but short audiodropouts.

My setup is: ilive with dante card, Lenovo x121 with windows 7 64bit. I am using Cubase 64bit record to an seperate partition.

My connection is: dante card port a runs into an Netgear ProSafe GS108E Switch (QOS enabled) – from that to the network port of my laptop.
    Also from the switch into an Netgear WDR3700 router thats plugged in my ilives network port and to my seperate laptop (lenovo x220t) at foh position. With the x220 i control the x121 via remote desktop. This works fine so far.

DHCP is disabled everywhere like recommended by A&H.

The IlLive is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3
    The Router is 192.168.1.254
    The switch is 192.168.1.250 Gateway is 192.168.1.254 (the router)
    The x121 (recording laptop) is 192.168.15
    The x220 (control laptop) is 192.168.1.10

I tried to give dante a fixed ip but dante controller wont let me change that it just tells that fixed ip adress is not supported by this device. (wtf?)

My question is – as everything is connecting fine with another – i have all control and everything is usable in the dante network – is something wrong with my settings? Cause Dante itself has an totally other network adressrange then the mixrack or the computers. I think something like 168….

Not to say i use short Cat6 Cables for testing all this and have the latest DVS and Controler installed.

Here is an small part of an audio file so you know what i mean with “hiccup” : https://jabberwalky.com/ilive.mp3

Help urgendly needed!

Thanks
    Albin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.