Can someone explain Wedge and IEM mix? and delay

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Can someone explain Wedge and IEM mix? and delay

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of grahamwhite grahamwhite 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Hey all,

Im gonna be honest I haven’t actually mixed on the iLive yet, but my group has decided to go with one. Anyway I spent several hours on the A&H youtube tutorials, which are fantastic, however I’m still a little confused about the IEM and Wedge mixes, specifically how they are supposed to be used when mixing monitors from FOH. I mix with a pair of reference IEMs simply for the noise isolation, but I don’t (yet) see the benefit of using the IEM bus over just the normal PAFL system?

Thanks

p.s. delay for headphones and speakers. Does that include digital processing delay? I.e. if my speakers are 10ft from the drums (and for some odd reason all I was amplifying were drums) would I do my delay calculation including board latency or excluding it?

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Well, let’s start by assuming the board latency is approximately the same for your monitor bus as the mains. Actually there may be a slight difference, but let’s work with the assumption.

This means that the delay is primarily to time align the speaker position of the monitors with the delay of the mains to the monitoring position.

Generally you would be attempting to eliminate the delay from the mains and whatever is your monitor feed to reduce any slap or comb filtering introduced by that delay that might affect your sense of the mix.

iDr48/T-112/MADI

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

as i always work with split channels (30 assigned to foh 30 for monitors (same preamp))
    when using a single console and not a separate monitor one.
    i do take the time to make “single channel delay” for foh only – i measure the distance from the bassdrum to the front – the snare e.t.c. really helps to keep the band “on stage”.

and if you work with somebody wich does not understand it simply say:

well the front speaker waits till the sound of the snare is where he (the speaker) is[;)]

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Right, I guess I assumed the board delay was greater than (i’m going to make this easy) say two feet? Maybe that’s a bad assumption- I just don’t want to end up over-delaying a monitor mix. But that clears things up for that second question.

As far as the top goes, the default template has wedge and IEM mixes, which I understand behave differently?

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

Wedge and iem buses….

Lets assume you are running the console as a monitor only console, ie sidestage at a festival, you have some people on iems and you have some on wedges.
    You also have a pair of wedges and some iems for your cue system.

Now route all of your iem auxes to your iem cuebuss, the same way you route your DCAs or Groups.
    Now route all of your wedge auxes to the wedge cuesbuss too.

Whenever you AFL an IEM mix it will only output via your iem cuebuss and the same for when you AFL any wedge mixes it will come out of your cue wedges and not on the other buss.

You can of course route them to both busses or neither if you so wish!

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.