FX on a matrix

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FX on a matrix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of keywe8 keywe8 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WPCtech
    WPCtech
    Participant

Our church just purchased a SQ7 which isn’t a month old. The issue I’m having is being able to add FX to the FOH mix while at the same time add a little higher level of FX on a matrix. I have programmed one of the matrices as my audio for our livestream. The matrix is monitoring or taking a copy of the L/R Mains and using it as livestream audio feed. I’m finding that a lesser amount of reverb is needed in our room (FOH) due to the large size of the room which contributes a lot of reverb naturally. The livestream audio however could use a bit higher level of the reverb, but I don’t know how to achieve that. Can I control the level of FX independently on FOH and livestream?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Wayne

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

Set up a “room” or “livestream” only reverb (whatever you want to call it so that anyone mixing will remember that this reverb is only for the live stream). This will be completely separate from any reverb that makes it to aux’s or FOH.

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

Are you using subgroups or buses to send acoustic drums and amped instruments to your live stream matrix so that they can be pushed harder in your livestream matrix feed? Instruments such as acoustic drums, bass and electric guitars are typically acoustically louder in the room while much quieter on the live stream using just a copy of the FOH mix. Sending those instruments to a group or bus first and then sending the bus/group to your matrix will give you a much better livestream mix.

Profile photo of WPCtech
    WPCtech
    Participant

I’m using a Main L/R main mix that is routed to the matrix, so basically whatever the tech mixes in the FOH mix is what is going to the livestream. We’re a little low in volunteers so trying to make due. So you’re saying instead of using a matrix, use a post-fade subgroup, correct? This means then with a subgroup I can take advantage of another layer of compression and add FX if I want. Yes?

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

The best and clearest way is usually to use a separate second mix for the stream.
    There you can decide independently of the Main mix:
    – what sources they actually use
    – what levels are required
    – which levels follow the main mix and which don’t (post/pre)
    – which pans sound best
    – which FX should be dosed and how
    – how the stream should be compressed
    etc.

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

Unless you have a dedicated person mixing the live stream completely separate from FOH, I suggest the following:

Send FOH mix to live stream. Without knowing your instrumentation, I presume you are mixing vocal(s). By sending the FOH to your livestream (I suggest setting up a stereo Matrix for you live stream), you are able to capture the room mix. When you turn a vocal fader up or down on FOH, your livestream feed will also reflect those moves. The same goes for instruments that are not amped in the room (typically keys, acoustic guitar, etc). That’s a good thing.

The problem is with the instruments that are naturally louder in the room (acoustic drums, bass amp, guitar amp, or any other instrument that is amped). Unless you send more of their signal to the matrix, these will be buried in your livestream mix.

To fix that problem, send the drums to a stereo group (here you can use the SQ’s wonderful parallel compression feature to glue the drums together). Depending on how many groups you have to work with, you should do the same for amped instruments (although you don’t need a stereo buss for bass guitar). Send these groups to the livestream matrices only (not FOH). Solo the Matrix and adjust to taste.

And as you have mentioned, the livestream can’t capture the natural room reflections so add reverb to the livestream is essential. I create a dedicated reverb for the livestream to wet the overall stream. You will need that verb for the pastor as well so it sounds as close to your live room as possible.

Again, if you have a dedicated volunteer mixing your livestream completely separate, then that is the best option. Short of that, I have found these techniques to be helpful when mixing both FOH and LS from a single desk.

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

Consider using light compression (1.5-2 db reduction and a 2:1 ratio) and a limiter on your Matrix Livestream and adjust the EQ to bring back some of the frequencies you may have cut in the room. Listen to your live stream mix – not only on the SQ – but on the actual livestream to ensure a great mix.

If you have mostly the same worship team week after week, and are mixing both FOH and LS from a single desk, this is a great way to get a solid livestream mix. Once it’s set up like this, adjustments you might typically make when mixing FOH (pushing faders for vocals, keys, acoustic guitar, etc) will transfer better to the livestream without having to create a completely dedicated livestream mix.

This is a bit of a hybrid approach. It’s worked well for our church but it can be a challenge for the audio team to fully grasp.

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

I’m using a Main L/R main mix that is routed to the matrix, so basically whatever the tech mixes in the FOH mix is what is going to the livestream. We’re a little low in volunteers so trying to make due. So you’re saying instead of using a matrix, use a post-fade subgroup, correct? This means then with a subgroup I can take advantage of another layer of compression and add FX if I want. Yes?

No. Not “subgroups instead of matrix”. Subgroup in addition to Matrix. Set the recommended subgroups up to send only to the Matrix and not to FOH.
    Here’s the setup:
    Create a stereo Matrix for your live stream. You can’t sent inputs to a Matrix – only aux/buses.
    Send FOH to Matrix.
    Set up subgroups for those instruments that are naturally acoustically loud in the room. Send those groups to the matrix only and NOT to FOH.
    When mixing FOH, your fader moves will be reflected in the livestream. But with the addition of subgroups for those instruments that will be loud in the room but buried in the livestream, you can push those group faders up which will bring those instruments up in the livestream without bringing them up in the house.

Profile photo of keywe8
    keywe8
    Participant

Here is a link to a video showing how (and explaining why) you might want to utilize both Matrix and subgroups.

How and why to use Matrix and Groups for livestream

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.