iLive/iDR setup questions

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive/iDR setup questions

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rexeltw Rexeltw 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of M_Pea
    M_Pea
    Participant

Hi all!

I posted this in another forum as well. I hope someone can send me some opinions:

I’m looking at expanding an iLive system that I use with a performing group during the summer months and am looking for some opinions/advice. Currently the system consists of an iLive – 144 surface with an iDR48 MixRack connected via ACE. The MixRack sits off stage in one of the wings with the wireless and amp racks. Right now, the wireless rack is patched in to our old analog snake box – via a fan out to mass connector – that is mounted on the ‘front’ of the snake rack. This takes care of the vocals and horn section. There is then an analog drop snake that runs to upstage center behind the drum kit for rhythm section inputs and monitor sends and connects to the analog snake box with a mass connector as well. The analog snake box then connects to the MixRack on the ‘back’ of the snake rack via a short mass connector to fan out trunk.

I’d really like to get rid of the analog system all together (since we don’t travel with the FOH trunk anyways) and just purchase another MixRack – say the iDR32 – and place it upstage center. I’d then have to get the card to link the two together via ACE. This would also pose less of a trip hazard to the performers as they exit the stage the same side as the racks. The drop snake is secured to the floor, but it definitely has a larger diameter than a CAT5 cable.

The other option is to sell the iDR48, pick up an iDR64, and continue using the analog snake, or possibly get a panel made for the mass connectors and get rid of the analog stage box.

If you were in this situation, what would you do? Are there problems that could arise running a dual MixRack setup (I’ve never done it)? Do you think one option is more reliable than the other?

If there’s anything else you’d like to know about the setup to help you help me, let me know.

Thanks in advance! :)

-Matt

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Matt,

If you just want to expand channels and don’t have the need for the processing there is the xDR 16×8 expander that would be less expensive. You can add two of these to a rack via and ACE card.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of M_Pea
    M_Pea
    Participant

I’ve looked into that, but my concern is that I would need two (2) of them to achieve the desired channel count in that location on stage. Doing so puts the input count above the 64 that the iDR48 can process, correct?

Is there a way to have channels 1-32 on the iDR48 and then 33-64 on the xDR16?

The other thought for having the iDR32 integrated into the system was for a back up incase the Master died while out on the road. I could successfully get by for a day or so on 32 or 48 inputs if absolutely necessary. But as I read more about it, it seems as though in order to change the ‘slave’ rack back to function as a stand alone unit, you need a ‘master’ MixRack to connect it to, correct? Is there a way you can create a preset that you can load into the ‘slave’ MixRack to make it run as a stand alone unit again?

-Matt

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by M_Pea

I’ve looked into that, but my concern is that I would need two (2) of them to achieve the desired channel count in that location on stage. Doing so puts the input count above the 64 that the iDR48 can process, correct?

Is there a way to have channels 1-32 on the iDR48 and then 33-64 on the xDR16?

The other thought for having the iDR32 integrated into the system was for a back up incase the Master died while out on the road. I could successfully get by for a day or so on 32 or 48 inputs if absolutely necessary. But as I read more about it, it seems as though in order to change the ‘slave’ rack back to function as a stand alone unit, you need a ‘master’ MixRack to connect it to, correct? Is there a way you can create a preset that you can load into the ‘slave’ MixRack to make it run as a stand alone unit again?

-Matt

For total input count it matters little to the mixrack where these are coming from but you are limited to 64 in a one mixrack setup…..in a dual mixrack scheme you can double the inputs/dsp to 128….. you can assign any socket from any idr48 or xdr16 to any number so, your idr 48 would have some free inputs if you were to go the idr 48 and 2 xdr 16 route. Of course you do not need to have 2 racks connected to revert back a slave rack to master just press the ” Reset Network Settings” recessed switch to restore to default single MixRack operation.

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

One advantage in getting an IDR64 is if you use an iPad/Mixpad app you get control of all 64 preamps. I understand this isnt so with a dual mixrack set up! (In Dual-rack mode the Mixpad app can only access the Master rack preamps). With an IDR64 you also will have better show recall integrity/reliability as all the i/o hardware is always present.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of M_Pea
    M_Pea
    Participant

quote:

For total input count it matters little to the mixrack where these are coming from but you are limited to 64 in a one mixrack setup…..in a dual mixrack scheme you can double the inputs/dsp to 128….. you can assign any socket from any idr48 or xdr16 to any number so, your idr 48 would have some free inputs if you were to go the idr 48 and 2 xdr 16 route. Of course you do not need to have 2 racks connected to revert back a slave rack to master just press the ” Reset Network Settings” recessed switch to restore to default single MixRack operation.

RayS

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve never used the ‘Reset’ button, so I didn’t even think about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

One advantage in getting an IDR64 is if you use an iPad/Mixpad app you get control of all 64 preamps. I understand this isnt so with a dual mixrack set up! (In Dual-rack mode the Mixpad app can only access the Master rack preamps). With an IDR64 you also will have better show recall integrity/reliability as all the i/o hardware is always present.

Cheers

Richard Howey

I’m not terribly concerned about the MixPad issue, but in a Dual MixRack setup, are you able to view both racks with the computer editor software? If I remember reading correctly, you cannot. Just wanted to double check.

You’re also stating that going with a single iDR64 would be more reliable than having a dual rack setup. That makes sense. My question is: has anyone had an issue with a mixrack dying on the road? I’m worried about that happening to me, and then not having an option for following shows (hence the dual mixrack idea). Is having a dual setup not worth it just to have as a ‘back up,’ as well as expanding the system?

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by M_Pea
    My question is: has anyone had an issue with a mixrack dying on the road? I’m worried about that happening to me, and then not having an option for following shows (hence the dual mixrack idea). Is having a dual setup not worth it just to have as a ‘back up,’ as well as expanding the system?

well , I wish I had a fully redundant setup , 2 surfaces 2 mixracks etc….but, really! that’s just not feasible in terms of cost alone (for me) and if this had been your primary concern originally you’d still be analog…..you have now been working with the lone idr 48!…..so again I think you have answered your own question…….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

I reckon having some redundancy if you’re on the road would be good. If you need more channels the iDR may be the way to go instead of xDR. Someone correct me but it seems like A&H have just said they don’t support some of those things in dual rack mode with the editor or mixpad at this time. So it seems like that could be a possibility at some point. It’s been a while since an update so maybe those capabilities will be in the next releases. I would hope that if they can’t add that they would say so.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The limitations with the editor in a dual rack setup are valid for offline operation…
    Online it should be possible to control the dual-rack system. But never tried by myself…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

If you are worried about failure buy an external PSU. Apart from software bricking the most common fault/mod required is PSU based due to prolonged high temperature use. At least this way if your internal rack PSU fails the external will plod on for the show.

Failure is of course another reason we need this iLive International Hire Network so you know who you can call in an emergency (which Adele’s FOH engineer had to use last year). 24 hour help desk doesn’t get you another board at three hours notice…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.