Upgrading MONO house to QU-32. How do I get SUMMED LR?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Upgrading MONO house to QU-32. How do I get SUMMED LR?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LesWilson LesWilson 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LesWilson
    LesWilson
    Participant

I am 100% certain others migrating from GLxxxx mixers to QU have hit this problem but I’m not seeing a solution.

My 4 mono group outputs are driving wedges. My house PA however is mono. If I just take the L side of the main outputs, I only get one channel from stereo sources on ST 1-3. Short of a custom XLR cable and subsequent phase issues, is there a way to get a proper electronically summed LR output? I’ve looked at MTX and not seeing it.

Ideas? TIA

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What’s wrong with also using the right main output ? It won’t change a thing for your mono sources (assuming you have everything panned in the middle). Playback whatever inputs going to the stereo ins in mono and voilá.

Another possibility could be to sum in the poweramp or on the back of your powered speakers. Most can do this.

Giga

LesWilson
    Participant

Thanks Giga. I had an XLR Y cable. It works. Need to make some more for Fills and sub. My TD wanted me to pursue something in the QU saying there might be phasing issues. I exhausted all my ideas. We only have a single line to the remote amps so doing it at the amp is not an option.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The Alt Out can be assigned L+R. Also any of the dSnake Stage box outputs can be assigned L+R.

LesWilson
    Participant

You mean one channel of ALT Out would carry L+R? Ditto any of the AR2412 outputs?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes the ALT out and the output assignment options on the stage box have a summed L+R option so does the AES output.

What kind of the system processor, speakers are in the main system, if using a speaker processor DSP for the system maybe the mono summing could take place there.

DO NOT use a hardwired XLR Y cable to mono sum two outputs.
    You can make a passive resistor based summing network “Y” cable and the parts
    will all fit within the XLR connectors.

Here is a link on that topic and schematics on making one.
    https://www.prosoundweb.com/rane-note-why-not-wye-or-y-for-that-matter/

LesWilson
    Participant

Thank you for the followup Mike. Great article. I passed it on to my TD. I pulled the Y cables first thing today and ran my first event using only the left channel. The AR2412 won’t be in for a while so I’m getting by. Using its outputs to drive our mono PA, Fills and Subs is be a great solution for us. The ALT drives lobby speakers and being a knob instead of a fader is great ergonomics for us.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.