Zedi10FX Headphones Out Mono only?

Forums Forums Other A&H products Zedi10FX Headphones Out Mono only?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of White Lake Dan White Lake Dan 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of White Lake Dan
    White Lake Dan
    Participant

So. My Zedi10FX Headphone jack provides only summed-mono as opposed to true stereo. I don’t use headphones very much but I came to realization when I listened back to a ping pong delay (i.e hard left, then hard right) and it is all in the middle (no left/right) when using the headphones on USB playback from my DAW. Speakers out of mixer do play the ping pong properly. Headphones are stereo plugged in anywhere else. Surely that can’t be normal, or is it???

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What channel are you bringing the DAW back in on, ST2 or ST3?

Make sure you do not have any of the headphone select buttons selected/pushed in.

If you use a mono input and pan it left and right do you hear that in the headphones?

White Lake Dan
    Participant

Are you a Zedi10FX user/owner? I so, are you saying, yet not saying, that the Zedi10FX headphones provide full stereo mode for you?

As for you questions …
    “What channel are you bringing the DAW back in on, ST2 or ST3?”
    Either one makes NO difference.

“Make sure you do not have any of the headphone select buttons selected/pushed in.”
    Any of them (in or out) make NO difference either

“If you use a mono input and pan it left and right do you hear that in the headphones?”
    Nope. Ful left & right (i.e. summed-mono) at all times no matter the source.

Still looking …..

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you a Zedi10FX user/owner? I so, are you saying, yet not saying, that the Zedi10FX headphones provide full stereo mode for you?

I have the non FX version, yes the headphone out is stereo.

Does the jack feel “correct” when you plug in the headphones as in you can feel the
    ring and the tip contact clicking into place so to speak as you plug them in?
    Maybe a bad jack that has shorted?

Are any of the headphone buttons pushed?

White Lake Dan
    Participant

No buttons in (makes NO difference either way). Switched headphones and 1/4 TRS adapters etc… Same results (and they all work properly on either audio gear).
    Mono tracks cannot/will not pan (panned in DAW) left to right and just stay in the middle but are output properly and correctly on the monitor speakers.
    Now, are you absolutely positive yours outputs in proper stereo? When you pan a mono file in your DAW left to right, the headphones follow along?
    Anyway, thanks for the assistance. Cheers!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@White Lake Dan

The ZEDi-10FX headphone output is stereo, though the PFL bus is mono as it’s intended for checking channels rather than monitoring/mixing.
    This is why Mike is asking where you have any of the listen switches pressed and you can be sure you don’t by checking the PFL LED, which should be off.

The stereo feeds to the headphones are:
    – The main mix (with no PFL/headphone and no ‘Phones Select’ switches pressed)
    – ST3 when using the ‘ST3’ option for ‘Phones Select’

This is shown in the block diagram here – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/ZEDi-10FX-Technical-Datasheet.pdf#page=3&zoom=150,94,-55

For mixing and wanting to hear the DAW in stereo, you can therefore send to USB1&2 (ST2) or USB3&4 (ST3) and send these to the main mix, or send to just 3&4 (ST3) and monitor only this using the ‘Phones Select’ option.
    In addition you can send the phones audio out to the monitors with the RCA monitor out sockets and use the separate control provided for their level.

Cheers,
    Keith.

White Lake Dan
    Participant

Oh BOY! Well “That ‘splains it” as they say in Texas! Thanks Keith. You made it plain and clear (and I did not understand Mike’s points… sorry Mike!). I didn’t say that at the outset but I am verry “old school” and a luddite with all this music gear stuff! I also find this mixer a source of frustration and head-scratching (to put it mildly). No, it’s definitely not the mixer’s fault and, no I don’t really know what I’m doing. BUT, thanks to you good folks, that is slowly changing. Anyway, I now do get a stereo output from the mixer’s headphones. THANK YOU! My settings were wrong (as were my assumptions and “understanding” of how this thing should work). I now, apparently, can flight right and go straight forward :-). CHEERS!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.