XLR Mix Output Alignment

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions XLR Mix Output Alignment

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of PaulH PaulH 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PaulH
    PaulH
    Participant

I am currently replacing an analogue Soundcraft desk with the SQ-6 and have hit a bump in the road when it comes to lining up the mix output level with our other devices

The mix output (XLR 11 & 12) goes to a PPM meter and an Aja capture card in a Mac. The output level of the previous desk was such that 0 on the meters lined up to PPM4 and -18dBFS on the Aja

Using a test tone set to 0 on the SQ-6 meters the output of the new desk is giving about 5.2 on the PPM and roughly -11dBFS

Looking at the SQ manual the specification states :-

dBFS Alignment : +18dBu = 0dBFS (+22dBu at XLR output)
    Meter Calibration : 0dB meter = -18dBFS (+4dBu at XLR out)

…. which I don’t understand … is it normal on a desk for the output alignment to be calibrated differently to the internal representation ? … and how do people resolve that ?

I don’t think I’m quite seeing those values anyway, but it appears to be a part explanation for what I’m observing.

I already have a distribution amplifier, but that’s set to unity gain (and the first thing I did was to bypass that to see if that changed what I was seeing) … and unfortuantely the trim on the DA only appears to amplify and not attenuate the signal so I can’t use that to re-align the level.

I assume I’m showing my lack of experience in this area but am I missing something obvious here ? … and is my only solution to replace the DA with a better one which will allow me to reduce the level or maybe I should be looking to use the digital output instead where possible ?

I’d be grateful for any advice

Paul

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.