Worth upgrading to an SQ7?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Worth upgrading to an SQ7?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anthony1974 anthony1974 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anthony1974
    anthony1974
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a QU-16 at the moment, but I don’t have enough inputs and ways for FX returns, so I am using a Tascam LM-8ST & ART MX-822 to capture my FX returns and extra instrument outputs and bring that back on ch’s 15/16 on the QU-16. I probably bought the wrong desk, but that was my budget at the time. My situation is I have literally have 32 inputs from instruments, guitar, voice. I need another 7 stereo pairs of returns for FX. How would this work with a SQ-7? I can see 36 physical inputs (I think I need 46/48) and I can see 19 outputs which looks fine.

What’s the best way to achieve what I am trying to do for a predominantly fixed studio set up? Is this the right desk? Do I need an add on of some kind? Can the SQ-7 and QU-16 be used seamlessly in conjunction with one another in a completely automated fashion?

Thanks,
    Anthony.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Keep in mind the internal FX returns do not use the input channels, the FX are on dedicated FX return channels.
    On the QU16 if you do add FX to the two additional FX slots then you do have to return
    them using an input channel.

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @anthony1974,

SQ offers 48 processing channels + 8 FX Engines from which 4 of them have a designated FX send.
    Should you require to use the other 4 FX Engines as Send/Return FX’s, you would need to send these other 4 FX’s using your Aux Mixes.
    All 8 FX Engines have FX Return, you can drag and drop these into any desired fader/layer through the Setup – Surface – Strip Assign screen.

If you need more Input sockets than what the console physically offers, you can add Expander Racks into your setup by connecting these to the SLink port of the console.
    There is a wide variety of Expanders that you can add, both 48kHz and 96kHz, from our protocols dSnake, DX and GX.
    For your reference: https://www.allen-heath.com/everything-io/
    Here’s a very helpful guide on SLink connections: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_5_0.pdf

@mike C,
    FX3 and FX4 would need to use an Aux Mix to send, but it does have designated FX Returns.
    Selecting the Upper layer (Output buses) will have FX3 return and FX4 return in “Channels 6 and 7”

Cheers,
    Rafa

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

@mike C,
    FX3 and FX4 would need to use an Aux Mix to send, but it does have designated FX Returns.
    Selecting the Upper layer (Output buses) will have FX3 return and FX4 return in “Channels 6 and 7”

I wasn’t thinking right or wording that right, I”ve added and extra FX a couple times on my QU16.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I’d somehow never realized that all 8 SQ FX had returns. I also had never realized that you can assign direct out channels to them without using a send. Single purpose FX like gated snare or suboctave bass no longer have to burn one of my sends? Oh, this is going to be fun.

anthony1974
    Participant

Hi Mike, yes that is what I am doing, I am using the ST1/ST2 as stereo returns from FX and losing a stereo pair for the output of my line mixers. Not happy with that set up though.

anthony1974
    Participant

Hello @Rafael A&H,

Thanks for this, looks like the AB168 would do the trick and give just a little room in case I had further inputs. Noting this “The SQ features 48 input processing channels. Adding connections via SLink provides access to more inputs and outputs, but does not increase the number of processing channels available.” Does this mean it won’t add extra channels in Cubase? Would I have to route the physical output of the AB168 into a couple of channels on my desk SQ or QU?

Thanks.

Rafael A&H

Hello @anthony1974,

You may add multiple expander racks to increase the amount of possible input or output sockets, and integrate remote connectivity, but the mixer is capable of processing audio for 48 channels
    The SLink Connections guide shared above will help you get your head around the connection possibilities: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_5_0.pdf

SQ can send up to 32 channels through USB into your computer system.

Cheers,
    Rafael

anthony1974
    Participant

Hello Rafael,

Thanks for this – just one final thought, can I link a QU16 and a SQ7 together with Slink or dSnake to to link the two desks together, with one having control over the other?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

An SQ5 has 16 faders with 6 layers and the exact same XCIV core as the SQ7 however your best option, given the anticipated channel count, is to deploy a 4816 expansion stage box, on stage where it is needed. The 4816 has 48 24/96K D-Live pres along with 16 D-live outputs, and allows the small footprint SQ5 to manage all of the mixing from any location you may choose with only a single cat 6 cable for connection: you will not need a monster 50 channel copper snake drug out to the mixing location. This is the way pro sound is supposed to work today. I am well aware the MSRP for the SQ5/4816 EXP stage box combo will require an apx $2K additional investment over the MSRP of an SQ7: however even at it’s $8k msrp the SQ5/4816 package is still the best quality/price value in pro SR available today!!!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Anthony,
    SLink and dSnake are protocols to send audio streams and control messages to the preamps. So:

You can Link SQ and QU to share audio between them, for example having QU on stage doing monitor mix while it sends audio over dSnake to SQ at FOH.

But you cannot “remote-control” one unit with another.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

PS: @Hugh: Ich am sure, A&H Sales Department is quite happy to ready your words — but have you read the question before answering it??

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Yes, I certainly did read the OP’s initial post: however there are occasions that require an orderly, measured option to wade through his odd mix and match scenario with an SQ7. I made a sincere recommendation based on the gear I own and operate in both live SR & recording in my project studio, that I know will be a much better protocol for the chore that the OP has described. The fact that TOBI has a problem with my post speaks more to his limited focus than my reading and comprehension skills.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Alec
    Alec
    Participant

Tobi wrote:

SLink and dSnake are protocols to send audio streams and control messages to the preamps

To be pedantic (a.k.a. accurate), SLink isn’t a protocol, it’s a connection port that supports multiple protocols – dSnake/ME, DX, gigaACE/GX.

This video summarises SLink very concisely

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

One thing might be worth to mention. The QU series comes with XLR for Mic and 1/4“ Jacks for line inputs. The SQ and all the stageboxes for it are coming with XLR. Only a few Jack inputs are available on the SQ itself. So, if there are a lot of instruments with jack outputs, you need either special adapter cables (second best solution and dangerous because of the phantom power) or you have to use DI boxes for that inputs. That probably has to be considered when planning the budget for that invest.

Rafael A&H

Hello @anthony1974,

Yes, you can connect an SQ and a QU together through the SLink of the SQ and the dSnake port of the QU.
    Please note that this is a ‘Digital Split’ setup, this does not work to control the secondary mixer from the primary mixer, the purpose of this setup is simply to share unprocessed signals from one mixer to the other.

Preamp control (Gain, +48v and Pad) remains only for the mixer that has the sources and racks connected to it.
    For your reference: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403618840849-General-How-to-connect-Qu-SQ

@alec, thanks for clarifying the SLink concept. Yes, indeed, SLink is not a protocol; SLink is an intelligent port that detects the sample rate and uses this to adapt to the protocol being used. This gives SLink the possibility of being used with dSnake protocol, DX or GX Protocols.

Cheers,
    Rafa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.