What sort of data rate does remote control use?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions What sort of data rate does remote control use?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Hello, I’m putting this in the SQ section, but I’d be interested more broadly too.

I understand remote control ports are typically 100mbps fast ethernet, but what kind of bandwidth is needed to get a good experience on a remote laptop or other control device? Good experience meaning smooth fader movements, smooth metering etc.

Could someone please load up a full console worth of metering and throw some faders around, and tell me what kind of network traffic you’re seeing?

Thanks,

Chris

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

It is my understanding that cat6 direct to an I-Pad can manage 10 Gbps at 180 ft max length. WIfi is not capable of generating anything close to this magnitude of speed for data transfer: the resulting latency prevalent with wifi greatly limits it’s functional control.

A comparison of a Cat6 wired I-Pad to the tactile controls of any SQ is reflected in the D-Live pro series commitment to tactile controls housed in their desks.

Lets face it, a WIFIed I-Pad used to roam a venue, to make remote sonic tweaks, is an indispensable tool for some of us: however it certainly is not a fast, reliable tool for mixing a show requiring much mixing management.
    Hugh

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.