What exactly is a "patch"?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions What exactly is a "patch"?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi,
    I don’t understand what is meant with “patch” regarding “Scenes->Recall Filters”.

If I block really everything in the recall filters and only allow “Input->Patch” nothing is recalled at all. Expectation from my side was: The sources of the input channels being recalled if “Input->Patch” is “allowed”. For example: Switch an input from Local IO to USB or so.

Can anybody help? Manual does not explain… :-/

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Input patch = what input socket (local, S-Link, Dante, USB etc ) is patched to each processing channel.

Say in scene 1 you use a mic connected to the local input 1 on the console, but in scene 2 you want to use the mic connected to eg local inpit socket 14.
    That is the patch change you can have or block using the filters.

kind regards
    Soren

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Ahh… OK. So I cannot change from Local Input to USB, but only from socket 5 to 8 or so…?

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

You can change them to what you need, any processing channel can have any inputs patched to them.
    (and changed on scene recalls, if wanted)

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@tobi

This is possibly because of the overlap between preamp and patch filters, as the preamp filter also blocks patch.

You can protect the patch and allow gain changes per scene. You can also change the patch and the preamp in order to completely change the setup.
    What isn’t allowed is for the patch to be changed but the preamp to be kept, as the preamp kind of ‘belongs’ to the socket rather than the channel and this is also how the Preamp filter worked originally.
    We don’t like to change behaviors as many people will be used to them and have shows built around them, but this is something that’s on the suggestion list of things to change. So please let us know how you’re intending to use these filters in a real world situation and what you’re wanting to achieve so we can include that in any future discussions.

Thanks!
    Keith.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.