Virtual soundcheck suggestion

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Virtual soundcheck suggestion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drc_online
    drc_online
    Participant

Hi folks, I’ve been persevering with Qu-Drive for recording virtual soundchecks but it’s really not a great solution especially for longer recordings.
    Just wanted To pass on a tip to use Tracktion Waveform app running on a Mac/PC instead. The big plus is that you can navigate around so much easier, set looping sections etc. Waveform allows you to set individual outputs per track so you can play each channel back into itself via USB which makes it easy to flip the desk into playback mode.
    Just passing it in in case it helps anyone.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I have had a QU since 2014 and have only ever tried the virtual soundcheck once. I didn’t like the fact that once you swapped the channels over to USB the pre amp gains were all different from their local setting. Also, the playback controls are clunky and not really ideal for stop starting etc. So from there on in I never bothered with it again, still have my QU, but for smaller shows I now use A&H’s latest release, the CQ-20B. That also has the ability to virtual soundcheck, I haven’t used that feature yet and probably never will.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

🙂

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Yeah, same here; I don’t think I’ve used it once. Once you have a couple of good template shows stored it’s easy peasy….

Giga

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I didn’t like the fact that once you swapped the channels over to USB the pre amp gains were all different from their local setting.

You have to understand that the preamp gain setting is something that is tied to each preamp’s physical circuitry. This is why the preamp gain setting will change when you change your source from one input to another on the same channel. Expecting the numbers to always stay the same is like driving two different cars and expecting them both to use the same engine (not the same type of engine but the same physical engine).

When you use USB inputs, you don’t use the preamps at all and your gain level is going to be set by the volume of the source material. If your source material has bad gain structure, it will carry over into the console.
    Of course you do have “trim” which gives you some flexibility to adjust the volume of a USB source in the console, but that is different than a preamp gain setting. However if you are recording the multitrack with appropriate gain structure (ie the gain is “correct” prior to the recording “pick point” and you don’t change the overall gain in the DAW/software), when you return those multitracks back to the console over USB you shouldn’t have to adjust the trim at all.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@brian,

I have never really looked at it that way before.

I suppose I may take another look at it now that I am using the CQ more.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.