USB-B for streaming

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration USB-B for streaming

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vtmn7777
    vtmn7777
    Participant

Hello everyone, friends. There are a few questions about sound for church broadcasts.

1. In order to send tracks to the PC in a single channel, is it necessary to use USB B, which I circled?
    2. Our mixer is on the stage, the computer is far from it. There is no possibility to put it next to it. Is it possible to use a 20-meter usb extension cord, or will it affect the sound?
    3. The computer is always occupied by another person. Maybe set everything up once for broadcast and score? (from time to time it is possible to adjust something)
    4. Where is it better to make a summary for broadcasting, in which program? Is there any video how to do it? I connected usb-b to the computer, and what’s next?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

From what I found your 20 meters is at the limit for USB3 USB2 can go to 30 meters.

If your just sending a stereo mix run some balanced analog audio cable from the mix output and use an input interface at the computer you could go a 100 meters or more then.

vtmn7777
    Participant

To receive sound for broadcasting. I’m using MTX1-2 which accepts LR. But the sound is very bad. I don’t know the best way to fix this, do you have any tips? Perhaps other ways? It is very important for me. They said it was possible via USB, so I asked you here.

3:40 / 18:30

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Listening to it on my lap top it does not sound so bad. I would at add some solid compression to the live stream feed and maybe pull some of the top end EQ back.
    Setting up a separate mix for the live stream feed would let you balance the mix a little better bringing up the bass and electric guitar some more.
    Setting up a post fade mix you could set the mix send levels as needed like bringing up the bass guitar higher but the overall mix would still follow the main mix.
    Setting up a pre fade mix would require a second person mixing the live stream audio remotely with and iPad.
    Lots of post here on different ways to set up live stream audio mixes.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok Listening to the video closer with headphones I could hear some possible phase cancellation issues on what sounded like the audio tracks.
    How are you connecting MTX 1-2 outputs to your computer?

To answer your question about the USB connection to your computer yes that does work, I’ve done it many times, with a PC you do need to download the Allen Heath QU audio driver
    to your PC.

vtmn7777
    Participant

We have the following situation: The mixer is on stage, there is no way to move it towards the computer or vice versa. The computer is occupied by a person who displays text on the screen. What are some ways to get a good mix on broadcast? We have an LR with nothing wired to it. I took it and took MTX1-2 for broadcasting, it goes to the esi u22xt audio interface, and I took MTX3-4 for the hall (I cut out the resonant frequencies there). I made it so that each output had an independent equalizer and compressor. Would it be better if I use Mix1 (all stereo mixes are occupied, only mono remains) and there I slightly reduce the synthesizer level, for example? I feel overdriven when the synth plays. And I don’t know how best to fix it, because in the hall it sounds good and there are no problems. Please give me advice

vtmn7777
    Participant

And about phase suppression, what do you mean, is it possible to reverse the phase on a channel?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Using a mix output would let you adjust the instrument levels more independently from the main room mix.
    It was a good call using the matrix mixes like you are one to feed the main PA and the other for the live stream.
    On the synth tracks is where I heard what sound like some phase issues, the rest of the audio sound good.
    Are the track on a stereo channel or a mono channel?

vtmn7777
    Participant

In theory, the broadcast track should be stereo. After all, this is a matrix that receives PA and goes through this splitter, below is the picture (in case it doesn’t work that way). Now the idea has arisen to sacrifice stereo sound and take a mono-channel mix in order to build the level of instruments. I think many people watch the broadcast simply through their phone and they don’t really need stereo sound, but better quality, but mono

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    vtmn7777
    Participant

Listening to the broadcast, I don’t always understand what the problem is. Sometimes I think it’s distortion, sometimes it’s an EQ problem. You also helped me by telling me about the phase. I have several controls: mix gain in the matrix, the matrix fader itself, gain on the audio interface and in OBS. Sometimes I don’t know where to turn best. It would be cool to fix the sound while staying on the matrix. Perhaps it’s really all because of the synthesizer, but there are no problems in the hall. I don’t know whether it’s worth switching to mono channel output or not

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are you using that Y cable for to split, the matrix outputs each have a left and right.

vtmn7777
    Participant

To get stereo sound

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is that Y split used on the mains PA or live stream feed?

vtmn7777
    Participant

it goes to the mtx1(L) mtx2(R) outputs and from there xlr to the audio interface

vtmn7777
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.