Unwanted side-chain ducking

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Unwanted side-chain ducking

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gopal Gopal 6 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gopal
    Gopal
    Participant

On my CQ20B, wired to QSC K10.2’s as wedges (L/R outputs), and also through the aux XLR outputs (right now 3/4) in stereo to my ATW-3255 Audio Technica wireless IEM, I notice what seems like side-chain compression happening across tracks.

If a channel set to be at a higher level (like lead vocals) in the mix doesn’t have a strong signal, then the other channels are at their “set” level, but as soon as the that lead channel comes in stronger, the other channels duck and become very quiet. I’ve tried EQing the heck out of it to try and give each channel its own space in the spectrum, but it still seems to happen.

This did not used to happen through my previous analog mixer (A&H GL2) that I sold to move up to the CQ20B. Feedback Assistant is off. Autogain is off for everything. There is no compression at all on any channel. Literally the only processing is EQ and independent reverbs for the vocals and acoustic guitar.

This renders the CQ20B as practically unusable without a major compromise as a live consolde. I am but a musician and not a sound professional, but a very good friend of mine (who is an FOH audio pro and runs an audio install business) tried to tweak the hell out of it also to no avail. Strangely, I had recorded a rehearsal to try and have something to reproduce the issue, and when we played back the recording (set channel sources to the SD card), the issue did not seem to be happening, so it only seems to apply with live/Analog signals.

Could this be user error, a software bug, or an issue specific to my mixer that requires service?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

That is not normal behavior. Either it is a “settings” issue, or there is something wrong with the console. Can you please post screenshots of the various settings pages that would be helpful? At the very least we need to see the pages for the lead vocal, a couple of the other input channels that “duck”, and your outputs.

Profile photo of TheAngryPenguin
    TheAngryPenguin
    Participant

Sounds like AMM has been enabled.

Profile photo of Gopal
    Gopal
    Participant

I will be loading the rack back into my rehearsal space today and will check on the AMM. I could swear it was off, but I’ll take some screenshots. Very likely user error on my part… still getting used to digital mixers.

I’ll report back. Thanks!

Profile photo of Chienmort
    Chienmort
    Participant

Yes sounds like AMM.

Profile photo of Gopal
    Gopal
    Participant

Looks like AMM was on. User error!

Thank you all for your help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.