Unlink Send Faders (Stereo inear mix feature)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Unlink Send Faders (Stereo inear mix feature)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pluckyduck pluckyduck 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pluckyduck
    pluckyduck
    Participant

Hi all,

i made severeal attempts to get this going and now seek for your support to get this feature implemented on QU Mixers (espcially QU-SB)

We need the option to unlink the sends separately when using linked channels.
    Vote for it! We need it. 🙂

Why?
    There might be a lot of other reasons why to do this, but my main goal is to be able to pan linked channels on the stereo monitor busses (Mix5-10), which i use primarily for inear mixes, which of course are best if run in stereo. If used in stereo i need to be able to distribute my channels in the mix. This is not possible for linked input channels (which i use a lot, as we have a lot of instruments running in stereo)
    In other words:
    If i link two input channels i loose the ability to pan those correctly in my monitor mixes.
    Their pan pots are hard panned L/R which leaves them quite useless. Wasted. (but this is another story, so we don’t focus on that)

The only workaround to this would be to use the (send-)faders to mimic the panning.
    This is possible for the main faders – these can be unlinked individually
    But it’s not possible for the sends, as soon as a channel is linked.
    As we loose a lot of comfort in editing if we have to unlink the channels completely, just to achieve that panning goal, we NEED the option to unlink the channel-sends separately!

Edit: If this feature is already requested somewhere else, point me there, i’ll vote for it!

best regards
    Stefan

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Damn, I was going to post a printscreen of the preference window you get when you press the “link” button but the forum won’t let me (file too big). Anyway, in the preferences, unlink pan et voilá…

Giga

pluckyduck
    Participant

Hi giga,

thanks for your thoughts, but that doesn’t do the trick.
    I’m aware of the unlink option for panning, and it’s true, that you can move the pan pots individually then, but this does not help!
    All you achieve, is that you pan the right channel more to left (for example) but that does neither achieve what a normal panpot is doing nor what i intend to do.
    It only results in collapsing the stereo image of the source! This is why i state: The panpots of a linked channel are totally wasted, as they MUST stay in full L/R Position to do what a linked (stereo) channel is intended for.

What we need to do is to lower the volume on one side (which is roughly spoken, what a normal panpot on a mono channel, or a true stereo channel does)

greets
    Stefan

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

The only solution I can think of is splitting the stereo signal and sending the splits to 2 mono channels. Assign stereo to mains, assign mono splits to IEM mixes.

Giga

pluckyduck
    Participant

I’m not quite sure, if i understand your advice, but as far as i know, the only solution to this now (on a QU-Series, especially a QU-SB) is to simply not linking the channels at all.
    This remains / restores full control over both channels and i can handle them individually.
    The downside to this is, that i have to edit all the other settings, that i would like to stay linked like EQ’s, Mutes, Gate, Compressor, … twice – once on each channel.

So this takes us back to my initial feature request. 🙂

Stefan

Profile photo of neill00
    neill00
    Participant

Is your goal to try to pan these stereo instruments so that you can place the instruments in various positions in the stereo field for your in ear mix? I’m not at my mixer now but are you saying the unlink panning option won’t allow you to, for example, pan the left channel hard left and bring the right channel to somewhere closer to centre so that instrument sounds like it’s placed to the left in the in ears?

pluckyduck
    Participant

Hi Neil,

i think, this is the same idea, that Giga came up with. Isn’t it?

Is your goal to try to pan these stereo instruments so that you can place the instruments in various positions in the stereo field for your in ear mix?
    -> Yes
    I’m not at my mixer now but are you saying the unlink panning option won’t allow you to, for example, pan the left channel hard left and bring the right channel to somewhere closer to centre so that instrument sounds like it’s placed to the left in the in ears?
    -> Not really as i would expect it to work. I sure can unlink the panning, BUT as i tried to describe above, this only collapses the stereo field and might also introduce phasing issues. What i want to achieve (and what a normal panpot on a “real” stereo channel does – refer to ST-1 on the QU-SB for example: It attenuates the left / right side it simply gets quieter, but it does not “move” the channel to the other side.
    I understand that the mixer is working, like a normal analog desk would work, so my solution as described above is the same work around, like i would use on an analog desk, but it would be much nicer, if the pan option would change its behaviour as soon as i link channels.

I hope this makes it clearer?

Stefan

Profile photo of neill00
    neill00
    Participant

Again, not at my mixer but I think I may be starting to recall how it works on this mixer. When you choose, unlink panning it just unlinks the pan controls from the main out pans. So if it’s linked, you can adjust the pan on the main mix and it will in turn make the same adjustment in the monitor mixes.
    It doesn’t unlink the L and R channel from each other.

If that’s the case I totally agree, being able to unlink left and right channels from each other on any of the stereo mic buses would be really handy for making a good stereo mix.

If I recall correctly, the stereo aux buses can’t be unlinked from each other the way a pair of input channels can be stereo linked (and unlinked). I will add a vote for this feature as I can’t think of a way to do it but it would be helpful.

pluckyduck
    Participant

Hello Neil,

thanks for your thoughts and efforts.
    The “Panpots” can be unlinked and then are unlinked for all mixes (as far as i remember, can’t test either now 🙂 ) .
    What can only be unlinked for the main bus is the channel fader itself, so i can’t use my own workaround (adjust the faders on the mix bus) as long as the channel is linked.

But i still insist:
    There should be an option to change the behaviour of the “PanPots” in linked channels to make them work like on an “original” Stereo Bus, like the ST-1 – ST-3 for example.
    If you use these channels, the Pan behaves exactly as i want it to behave.

Stefan

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The stereo channels have no pan, they have a balance control. This is not possible with linked channels.

pluckyduck
    Participant

Hi Steffen,

thanks for the clarification of the right wording, but the issue stays the same. 😉

best regards
    Stefan

SteffenR
    Participant

Ahmmm, it’s not only the wording, it works different.

It’s not possible to use a balance control on mono channels. It’s a technical difference.
    Two linked channels are still two linked mono channels.

pluckyduck
    Participant

Hi Steffen,

As we are talking digital, software controlled mixers, everything should be possible.
    But anyways, the original request is to unlink faders in all sends, not only the main bus, which would also accomplish my needs.

Have a nice weekend!

SteffenR
    Participant

First, we are talking about the Qu series, these mixers are here for around 10 years now. The last feature update is from 2016.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@pluckyduck

As SteffenR has already pointed out, what you are trying to achieve is not possible and now with the QU being in its 10th year, it is very unlikely that this feature will be implemented. If it is a feature that you need in your workflow, maybe a change of digital mixer is needed?

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.